Smoker reccomendations please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckmaster 10

Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
Looking for a smoker, mainly for summer sausage. I am currently using my RT590 and don't feel it goes low enough. Thinking electric but most reviews say they don't smoke enough below 250 degrees. Bradley seems awfully expensive to run. I read propane runs too hot in a smaller smoker. New pellet smokers seem like I would have issues with high temps as well. Does anyone have an recommendations on a good route to go?

What temp do you need for summer sausage? I feel like my recteq 700 is plenty low for what I do but I’m not smoking sausage. I cooked 3-2-1 ribs yesterday on low for the first 3 hours per an online recipe and they didn’t get tender enough in the first stage.

Probably the best option to smoke at lower temps is to build a wooden smokehouse with a propane burner for the heat source. My Camp Chef pellet grill will run around 160* on low smoke, but I really want something that can go lower for bacon and sausages. I plan on a smokehouse build come spring.

What temp do you need for summer sausage? I feel like my recteq 700 is plenty low for what I do but I’m not smoking sausage. I cooked 3-2-1 ribs yesterday on low for the first 3 hours per an online recipe and they didn’t get tender enough in the first stage.
I would like to run in the 125 range for a few hours and then get up 140, then 160, finishing about 180. I had 25 degree outdoor temp today and my RT 590 would not run a degree under 180. I don't ever have any issues with ribs , butts, or brisket using it.

Probably the best option to smoke at lower temps is to build a wooden smokehouse with a propane burner for the heat source. My Camp Chef pellet grill will run around 160* on low smoke, but I really want something that can go lower for bacon and sausages. I plan on a smokehouse build come spring.
I am thinking I will be doing the same. Just don't know the ins and outs of old school smoking.

Looking for a smoker, mainly for summer sausage. I am currently using my RT590 and don't feel it goes low enough. Thinking electric but most reviews say they don't smoke enough below 250 degrees. Bradley seems awfully expensive to run. I read propane runs too hot in a smaller smoker. New pellet smokers seem like I would have issues with high temps as well. Does anyone have an recommendations on a good route to go?
All depends on what you want to smoke in the long run, that said, a MES with the mailbox mod works well for a lot of members here. Otherwise build a smokehouse, but not everyone has the space or ability to do that. Not sure of your circumstances.

All depends on what you want to smoke in the long run, that said, a MES with the mailbox mod works well for a lot of members here. Otherwise build a smokehouse, but not everyone has the space or ability to do that. Not sure of your circumstances.
I have plenty of space and fully capable of the building portion. Just need to do a lot more reading on the actual design and operation.

So the mailbox mod looks interesting. The AMNPS just gets lit and then put in the mailbox? I am assuming this replaces the poor attempt at a smoke generator on the MES? I think I like it. Looks simple yet effective for smoking sausage.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I just bought a Smokin-it 3 digital wifi electric smoker. Expensive but built like a tank and you can cold smoke. I do sausages start at 110 and step up to 170 temp control is via PID and app on my phone. Sausges hit 153IT and I put them in an ice water bath. Did turkey breast and chicken breast, everything so far has come out great. Only use about 2-5oz of wood.

I just bought a Smokin-it 3 digital wifi electric smoker. Expensive but built like a tank and you can cold smoke. I do sausages start at 110 and step up to 170 temp control is via PID and app on my phone. Sausges hit 153IT and I put them in an ice water bath. Did turkey breast and chicken breast, everything so far has come out great. Only use about 2-5oz of wood.
I will most definitely look into that. Thank you

So the mailbox mod looks interesting. The AMNPS just gets lit and then put in the mailbox? I am assuming this replaces the poor attempt at a smoke generator on the MES? I think I like it. Looks simple yet effective for smoking sausage.
Correct. You can use a smoke tube as well. The MES doesn’t make smoke very well to begin with but especially not at low temperature. So the guys here figured out the mailbox mod to solve that problem. I don’t own a MES. I built a 3x3x7’ propane fired smokehouse.

Correct. You can use a smoke tube as well. The MES doesn’t make smoke very well to begin with but especially not at low temperature. So the guys here figured out the mailbox mod to solve that problem. I don’t own a MES. I built a 3x3x7’ propane fired smokehouse.
I would like to build a similar sized house. What are your thoughts on running the propane burner for heat only and then designing a dual mailbox system on it?

I would like to build a similar sized house. What are your thoughts on running the propane burner for heat only and then designing a dual mailbox system on it?
I’ve thought about this myself. I’ve used pellet tubes but in a box that size it’s really not enough smoke and I don’t care for the ash inside. Most of my smoking is warm smoke 120-170* for ham, bacon and sausage. So I run a 12” cast iron pan on top of the propane burner and place wood chunks in the pan to smolder. This works very well at those temps but the mailbox mod would be nice for cold smoking option, and yes I think two would be needed.

I’ve thought about this myself. I’ve used pellet tubes but in a box that size it’s really not enough smoke and I don’t care for the ash inside. Most of my smoking is warm smoke 120-170* for ham, bacon and sausage. So I run a 12” cast iron pan on top of the propane burner and place wood chunks in the pan to smolder. This works very well at those temps but the mailbox mod would be nice for cold smoking option, and yes I think two would be needed.
That cast iron pan seems like a great option. Thank you for the help!

That cast iron pan seems like a great option. Thank you for the help!
6B4D0B10-F404-4F50-8ED6-AB112C96BE8E.jpeg

51EECD10-D04B-40E0-8216-A3527C8C53F3.jpeg

A1CAE7B6-EA17-485C-82C6-F0382B16EAA6.jpeg

This should give you the basic idea of how mine runs.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I really like that! Thank you.
The bottom 3’ is all lined with hardibacker cement board including the floor then I lined the floor with brick because of the heat. The upper smoke chamber is 3x3x4’ and is divided from the lower with a simple expanded metal shelf that I place two of the large aluminum pans on to catch any drippings and to put water in for a little moister. Our RH is generally in the teens so the dry air is bad for meat the water pans help with that. There are four grooved shelving stringers that accept 1” dowel rods for hanging, or I can slide in expanded metal shelves for Jerky or fish.
D1168085-2CF5-40B2-B73F-089BB28D007D.jpeg

The bottom 3’ is all lined with hardibacker cement board including the floor then I lined the floor with brick because of the heat. The upper smoke chamber is 3x3x4’ and is divided from the lower with a simple expanded metal shelf that I place two of the large aluminum pans on to catch any drippings and to put water in for a little moister. Our RH is generally in the teens so the dry air is bad for meat the water pans help with that. There are four grooved shelving stringers that accept 1” dowel rods for hanging, or I can slide in expanded metal shelves for Jerky or fish.
View attachment 522592
Simple yet effective, I love it! Do you have an adjustable vent near the top anywhere?

SmokinEdge SmokinEdge What's in the bottom under the bricks, cement board? Also, the intake vent is below the floor, so how does the air get up into the chamber? I'm trying to get some early planning in.

Edit: you were responding while I was asking lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky