Smoker Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I love smoking meat and fish. However, can you make a great side dish like potatoes in smoker considering the lower temperatures. Of course you can.

I took a large baker potato and cut it into 3/4 inch cubes. I put them in a foil pan (you could also use a sheet of foil that you will fold into an envelope). I added 175 ml (3/4 cups) of thinly sliced onion. I mixed in 10 ml (2 teaspoons) Italian seasonings and 40 ml (3 tablespoons) olive oil.

I covered it in foil and put it in 230 F smoker.

Smoker Potatoes 1.jpg

I smoked for 2 hours removed the foil and then spread 175 ml (3/4 cup) cheese over the top. You can use whatever cheese you like. For this cook, I used Pepper Jack for a touch of heat.

Smoker Potatoes 2.jpg

I put it back in the smoker for 5 to 10 minutes to melt the cheese.

Smoker Potatoes 3.jpg

Smoker Potatoes 4.jpg

The Verdict

These potatoes turned out with a nice creamy texture. The onions and Italian seasoning give a good hit of flavour while the cheese makes it seem special. You could serve these at an informal cookout or a fancy dinner!

Disco

Looks really good Disco, I bet scalloped would be good also.

Point for sure
Chris

I would certainly put those potatoes away...

Did you actually throw any smoke to them while uncovered, and if so Did the melted cheese absorb some smoke flavor?

I would certainly put those potatoes away...

Did you actually throw any smoke to them while uncovered, and if so Did the melted cheese absorb some smoke flavor?

Thanks.

No, this method does not put any smoke on the potatoes or enough time to give taste to the cheese. I have home smoked the cheese so there was some taste but not from this cooking method.

Looks really good Disco, I bet scalloped would be good also.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks. I haven't done scalloped on low heat yet but it is in my plans. I appreciate the point!

Disco

Those look fantastic . I do foil packets alot , but the pan is a great idea .

Those look mighty Tasty!!
A lot like the "Roasted Reds" we make in my Toaster Oven.
I think if I made them in my Smoker, I'd have to let some Smoke sneak in to them.:emoji_wink:
Like.

Bear

Reactions: pc farmer
Those look mighty Tasty!!
A lot like the "Roasted Reds" we make in my Toaster Oven.
I think if I made them in my Smoker, I'd have to let some Smoke sneak in to them.:emoji_wink:
Like.

Bear

Thanks, Bear.

Those look nice Disco. Maybe a couple dollops of sour cream on top!

That would be crazy (and delicious)! Thanks for the kind words.

Looks great Dicso. I will try these and add some smoke for sure
Thanks, Adam.

Those look great! Did you cover in foil mainly to expedite the cooking? I might have to do those for Father's Day. I think I'll try without foil just because I think I'd want the smoke flavor on them. Thanks for sharing!

Those look great! Did you cover in foil mainly to expedite the cooking? I might have to do those for Father's Day. I think I'll try without foil just because I think I'd want the smoke flavor on them. Thanks for sharing!
No, I foil because it adds moist heat. If I cook potatoes in a smoker without foil, I don't like the texture as much. Just a personal thing.

I have smoked theses, chilled them in fridge for about 24 hours. made potato salad out of them.
I had some right after removing from smoker. they were better the next day.
DSCF3300.JPG

I smoked some chicken thighs yesterday and I tried this recipe. Potatoes turned out real good. My family loved them.

You are very kind. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding!

Looks good. I'll try to remember to give this one a try. Gotta love meat-n-taters.

They are pretty simple but tasty!

I have smoked theses, chilled them in fridge for about 24 hours. made potato salad out of them.
I had some right after removing from smoker. they were better the next day.View attachment 403506

Sounds absolutely delicious!

I'm going to try this. I have smoked some halved potatoes before but the texture was strange.

I hope you liked them!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky