Smoker Maintenance

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

srivera1965

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Athens, Georgia
Howdy smokers!

Just wanted to chime in and ask a question about smoker care/maintenance:

I own an Oklahoma Joe Smoker and was wondering if I ever need to "season" it after I clean it out. If yes, what is a good way/technique for seasoning?

I guess it would depend on what you mean by clean...My cleaning in the UDS consists of burning off the grates with a real hot fire (in another grill) and sucking out the inside with the shopvac. Thats it... but If you powerwashed it I would say you should probably give the inside a spray of pam and do a burn to re-season but I have never got that ambitious on any of my smokers.

If its pre seasoned, the best way to keep it seasoned is to use it often.

A smoker is one of those things that get better with age, sort of like a cast Iron pan or old coffee pot that has never been washed only rinsed.

A lot of folks will wipe down the inside with oil or spray with Pam, just go light on the oil.

You can actually get a good season with just using wood.

If you want to re season get a fire going in the box as if you were smoking, spray the inside smoke chamber lightly with oil I will sometimes just mist some oil inside the firebox under the reverse flow plate, just don't use a spray oil like Pam in the firebox the propellant makes it extremely flammable, use a spray bottle with canola oil.

I will also mist some water in the smoke chamber.

I never used oil to season my GOSM.

On my Reverse Flow I seasoned 3 times with Cherry Wood then on the 4th run I seasoned it with Cherry wood and Bacon Grease, only because I had a bunch of bacon grease to get rid of.

I will season the outside of the firebox when its still warm to keep from rusting and spray the inside as well.

If you smoke a fair amount don't re season you will build up too much oil, you are seasoning every time you cook.

Others may have some input.

You don't want this

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky