Smoker Insulation idea

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I have a very thin gas smoker and the other day a post was made about wrapping the smoker hard insulation to help with the heat retention of their electric smoker. The smoker in question is probably as light as mine is, If I open the door and the door latch isn't all the way open I can drag the smoker a few inches before I realize what's going on. The other day I thought maybe I should add some paving stones, cut to fit, to add some mass.

Today I was in the garage drilling holes in stainless steel and was thinking about the insulation thread and thought there is more then one way to help the smoker with it's heat retention problem. Why don't I just add some thermal mass to the inside walls, the mass will take care of the need for the smoker to be heaver so I don't drag it around the patio. I happen to have some harde backer board, I think it is 3/8" thick and it fits in the area between the rack and the wall.

I'm thinking to add one or two layers of this backer board, bolted to the inside of the smoker, to help with the heat retention. Does anyone see an issue with doing this?

I have a very thin gas smoker and the other day a post was made about wrapping the smoker hard insulation to help with the heat retention of their electric smoker. The smoker in question is probably as light as mine is, If I open the door and the door latch isn't all the way open I can drag the smoker a few inches before I realize what's going on. The other day I thought maybe I should add some paving stones, cut to fit, to add some mass.

Today I was in the garage drilling holes in stainless steel and was thinking about the insulation thread and thought there is more then one way to help the smoker with it's heat retention problem. Why don't I just add some thermal mass to the inside walls, the mass will take care of the need for the smoker to be heaver so I don't drag it around the patio. I happen to have some harde backer board, I think it is 3/8" thick and it fits in the area between the rack and the wall.

I'm thinking to add one or two layers of this backer board, bolted to the inside of the smoker, to help with the heat retention. Does anyone see an issue with doing this?
Backer board will retain moisture and will be a heat sink. This means it could take longer for the smoker to come up to temp. Otherwise no problem at all. My smokehouse lower section is all lined in hardibacker with house brick lining the floor, but I have a big propane burner in there so I see no issues heat wise.

Reactions: Nefarious
Backer board will retain moisture and will be a heat sink. This means it could take longer for the smoker to come up to temp. Otherwise no problem at all. My smokehouse lower section is all lined in hardibacker with house brick lining the floor, but I have a big propane burner in there so I see no issues heat wise.

Does the board deteriorate over time because of the water retention.

Does the board deteriorate over time because of the water retention.
It has not for me, but I live in average 20% humidity, but backer board is used in showers so I can’t believe that it would deteriorate from moisture. It’s just that it will absorb it like cement. This will take more energy from your heat source to overcome that and warm the board to temp. I really don’t see an issue other than your electric element taking more time to heat the space, potentially.

My smoker is gas, maybe I didn't make that clear. I can just crank the gas up in the beginning to get it hot. It is smaller then your smoke house, 18" x 1 6" in cross section. I guess its worth a try.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
My smoker is gas, maybe I didn't make that clear. I can just crank the gas up in the beginning to get it hot. It is smaller then your smoke house, 18" x 1 6" in cross section. I guess its worth a try.
Oh yeah, that makes a big difference. Heck yes, give it a try. That thermal mass will help, but like said, it may take just a bit longer to steady temps, but in that small box with gas fire, not much more.

Reactions: Nefarious
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky