Smoker/Grill area layout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Terry Bussenger

Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Cary, IL
Didn't know where to post this. Building a new house, I have a dedicated area that is covered and I am looking for some simple ideas as to what to include etc. I have a Weber SM 22, Masterbuilt 1060, will be getting a Weber Gas grill. Anyone have any layout designs? area is 12x10. Thanks

If it's strictly a cooking area. Then I'd line the cookers along the edge with the best views. I'd also include a Weber 22" or 26"(preferred) kettle to the mix.

Chris

10 X 12 will get crowded pretty quick if you plan on storing everything up there . My house came with a 8 X 20 covered . I had them add a 12 X 20 on to that when the house was built . Then after the fact had a 20 X 16 section added on to that . I move what I want up under cover as needed .
Adding flat work now should be affordable .
1656455079223.jpeg

This is the section I had the builder add . Gave me some nice room .
1656455383285.jpeg

I had the fan and light pre-wired in the ceiling / soffit . Both on their own switch inside . Wall receptacle next to the door , should have added another at the outside corner .

Also , depending on how far along you are , get a price on extending the driveway width out to the edge of the garage .

If you lay things out in a U-shape you can get quite a few cookers and counter space into a 12x10 space. A round Weber kettle goes well in a corner. Your gravity feed may want to abut a corner since the bottom right is hot and needs some free air-flow volume around it.
The 4th side can be bar-height so that's the side you pass food out from. It's nice having one dorm fridge facing out to guests and one facing in for you! If your counter/grills are 2' deep all around, that still gives you an interior (walking) work area of 8x6. Cramped quarters for 2 cooks but not one. And over 30 linear feet of counter and cooking space...sounds great to me.
If your yard is measured in acres, sure you can make it bigger, but most residential lots are small and more cooking space means less entertaining or garden space. You want your cook area to be attractive but not so large it dominates the space.

I'm just curious as to what you end up with! Don't forget the beer pole!

Ryan

Reactions: gmc2003
The slab is most likely attached to the house , and that is going to limit the use of hot grills and smokers against the house . Depending on the window size and layout , that effects counter tops .
You probably have egress in and out of the house in that area , which also effects function and layout by as much as 4' 0" .
So without knowing what you have to work with , it's hard to say .

Didn't know where to post this. Building a new house, I have a dedicated area that is covered and I am looking for some simple ideas as to what to include etc. I have a Weber SM 22, Masterbuilt 1060, will be getting a Weber Gas grill. Anyone have any layout designs? area is 12x10. Thanks
12' X 10' ??
Can't you stretch that a bit, like at least double?
That's about "Bedroom" size.

Bear

Having built 3 homes over the last 68 years, one of the things you learn is to not be too skimpy on things that are important. If the 12x10' area you described is a concrete pad I'd have them re-quote to something larger. Yes it will cost more but put that into a mortgage calculator and the house payment effect will not be that much.

Having built 3 homes over the last 68 years, one of the things you learn is to not be too skimpy on things that are important. If the 12x10' area you described is a concrete pad I'd have them re-quote to something larger. Yes it will cost more but put that into a mortgage calculator and the house payment effect will not be that much.
I agree, we built a second house in PA in 2020 and we nickle and dimed a few things and some where regretted almost immediately. Like enlarging the front deck, seemed large enough when nothing was on it but, add couches, gasser, pizza oven and 36" griddle and it got small quick - BTW thanks to the enablers on this forum for all the cooking appliances...lol.

Now we were writing a check for the place so I did not have the mind set that an extra $10K for this and that is only $XX over 15 or 30 years it was real time money.

Thanks for all the input, great stuff. House is just being framed, so I have time to tweek things. I attached the drawing of the area, it is a concrete pad.

Attachments

• Covered patio.png
    Covered patio.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 31
So it looks like you have additional patio area . Hard to tell the extent of it , but can see another 8' 0" X 14 ' 5 1/2 " uncovered .
Looks like it goes around the corner too ?

I would have them wire the ceiling for fans and lighting . Be hard to do later since it's tongue and groove wood .

Looks like you have a NG connection . That for a grill ? Good idea .
With the door you end up with an area of 8 X 10 covered . Not bad if you have a larger area that's poured . I do most of mine cooking out in the open , but move up under cover if it rains .

Thanks, yes the concrete patio runs almost 3/4 of the back of the house, but is uncovered. I think I will leave grills/smokers to be mobile and do what you do, move them out when weather is good, undercover when raining or snowing.

Reactions: chopsaw
In addition to what others have said, if you are in an area that is warm enough year round have them put in an outdoor sink.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky