Smoker for covered outdoor kitchen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mattyn1

Original poster
May 2, 2022
Hi All

Originally placed in the Intro forum - but I realise this is probably the correct place for these questions.

Have been using a Oklahoma Highland Offset for the last few years - and thoroughly enjoyed the results - mastering brisket (mastering to my standards I hasten to add based on my first effort!!) on there was a particular achievement. This has been outside, open air and not been too bothered where the smoke went.

We are soon to move house and looking to build an outdoor kitchen in a covered timber shelter - would like everything under the cover because all year cooking and British weather! A new smoker might be on the cards - (was struck by a YT video with a Traeger Pellet wifi smoker (Sam The Cooking Guy) - I really like this concept to have an easier time maintaining temps etc - I do read though the Traeger is considered too expensive) but am concerned with it being under the shelter - which will be walled on three sides.

Question 1 - does anyone have a built in smoker - or modded one to be built in? If so which? Especially interested in a built in wifi pellet smoker....!!
Question 2 - as the shelter will be a sitting/bar area too, if the smoker is inside, I feel I need the chimney modded to get the smoke outside of the shelter - any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Cheers guys. Many thanks in advance - and hopefully you understand the questions!!

Matty

Reactions: JLeonard
not a pellet guy here, so can't address those issues. I use a Masterbuilt 560 gravity fed. and love it. Only moving part is the fan. Which ever way you go you might think about running a conduit to the ceiling and installing a big-ass indoor outdoor ceiling fan. My patio is covered from rain and open on two sides and the fans are helpful.
John

Greetings again! I use a Traeger and am happy with it. It is a bit expensive, but in a year I haven’t had any problems. Happy with the results as long as it’s maintained. I’ve only used it with a roof, but found this article that may help. Fire is obviously a concern along with vent s/airflow!

Check out Rec Teq. I love mine and they are well liked here. I think they just came out with one that was designed for built in or stand alone.

Reactions: bigfurmn
Check out Rec Teq. I love mine and they are well liked here. I think they just came out with one that was designed for built in or stand alone.
Ha ha - thank you. Its just like Xmas!! Mrs is going to go nuts!

Going to read up before I look to import one!!!

I have a pellet smoker under a roof. Mine is a Camp Chef SG24 and it's under a metal patio roof open on three sides. Other than the first 10-15 minutes or so of start up I don't have a problem with smoke hanging around. If someone in your family is sensitive to the little bit of smoke a small oscillating fan should take care of it.

Thanks 1MoreFord. You sort of confirm my thinking over the last day or so.

I do think I might be overthinking this. Sort of happy in my mind now as the shelter will be oak frame/masonry built under Permitted Development, and to install a kitchen extractor above the grill and the smoker.

Also now also thinking of having a open window hole behind the smoker …… so if I do purchase one with rear exhaust like the Traeger or RecTeq it has a vent route.

Now just need to decide which new smoker, and whether to keep my grillstream or go for a new grill too.

Like I said earlier, the Mrs will go nuts!!!

If you want a built in, hands down for me would be the RT 1070 or a semi build in would be the RT 1250 that you take the legs off and set it on a built in area. A guy has some YT vids of a roller cart build for a RT 700.

If you get a new grill, I recently got one of the newly designed 2022 Weber Genesis 435 with their new tiered fire box (GAME CHANGER). It’s performance has BLOWN me away!

PS, since getting both the RT 1250 and 435, we haven’t used our house ovens for anything but for re-heats, keep warm, frozen quick meals, and the broiler for toast and fish....everything we cook is on the RT or Gen.....

Double PS...unless you run a powered vent you will get some circulating smoke with any smoker. A vertical vent hood will help if you get a draft, but on the other side pellet smokers don’t yield much except at the start up. My wife is sensitive to smoke so it bothers her....it doesn’t bother me...

Last edited:
Hi All

Originally placed in the Intro forum - but I realise this is probably the correct place for these questions.

Have been using a Oklahoma Highland Offset for the last few years - and thoroughly enjoyed the results - mastering brisket (mastering to my standards I hasten to add based on my first effort!!) on there was a particular achievement. This has been outside, open air and not been too bothered where the smoke went.

We are soon to move house and looking to build an outdoor kitchen in a covered timber shelter - would like everything under the cover because all year cooking and British weather! A new smoker might be on the cards - (was struck by a YT video with a Traeger Pellet wifi smoker (Sam The Cooking Guy) - I really like this concept to have an easier time maintaining temps etc - I do read though the Traeger is considered too expensive) but am concerned with it being under the shelter - which will be walled on three sides.

Question 1 - does anyone have a built in smoker - or modded one to be built in? If so which? Especially interested in a built in wifi pellet smoker....!!
Question 2 - as the shelter will be a sitting/bar area too, if the smoker is inside, I feel I need the chimney modded to get the smoke outside of the shelter - any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Cheers guys. Many thanks in advance - and hopefully you understand the questions!!

Matty
Take a look at the thread I just started. There's a built in cookshack pellet smoker that I'll go into detail on.

I would look at using a stove pipe extender with an elbow to get the smoke flowing the direction you want. I had a trager, but once I got use to an offset, the offset for me produced a far superior product than anything I cooked on the trager. I know people love them, but they are not for me. Here is a video of what I am talking about, but seems you could put an elbow pipe and divert the smoke to where you need it to go.

Hi All

Matty
Pellet smokers don't make much smoke and it's not continuous. Any amount of breeze will clear it out quick. I use mine on a covered patio and just set the smoker in the outside corner.

I'm not familiar with either of those statements - not enough smoke and continuous - my smokestack is about 8' tall, perhaps that's what makes it work? Or perhaps various brands perform differently. Plenty of smoke here throughout the process.

You're deluding yourself. Pellet smokers make thin and intermittent smoke. Nature of the beast. Kamados aren't great smokers either but still very popular. No need to be in denial. It's not a stick burner.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky