smoker cleaning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meatnbeer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Cross Plains, WI
How often do you guys clean your smokers?  I clean out the bottom and the racks after every use, but I never wipe down the sides and such. 

The reason I ask is because the cheese I am smoking today has drops of "liquid smoke" on it.  I looked at the roof of the smoker and it is dripping.

I guess I actually need to wipe it out every now and then.

Clean the grates, water pan, and get the ashes out each time, that's it.

Last edited:
What does the manufacturer of your smoker suggest?  If you are getting condensation that causes an unpleasant taste or coloration on your food then by all means clean the smoker.

The instructions that came with my Lang said to get the smoker to 300 degrees and then spray with a garden hose.  Let the steam work a minute or two and repeat.  The steam and hot water carries away any bits of food and grease that may cause a sour taste.  The steam doesn't seem to affect the cure on the walls of the smoker, just gets rid of the loose grease.

You are using a propane smoker, I guess so the rules may be different.

What does the manufacturer of your smoker suggest?  If you are getting condensation that causes an unpleasant taste or coloration on your food then by all means clean the smoker.

The instructions that came with my Lang said to get the smoker to 300 degrees and then spray with a garden hose.  Let the steam work a minute or two and repeat.  The steam and hot water carries away any bits of food and grease that may cause a sour taste.  The steam doesn't seem to affect the cure on the walls of the smoker, just gets rid of the loose grease.

I will have to check the manual.  I don't remember is saying anything about it.  I don't ever have this problem when I am running the smoker as it is intended.  When I place my smoker box on a hot plate in order to do a cold smoke that is when I am seeing the condensation.  I don't remember seing this the other times that I cold smoked, but I wasn't really looking for it, but drips of liquid smoke on cheese are pretty noticeable. 

How about a piece of alum foil a couple of inches above the cheese to act as a tent?  Not enough to trap the smoke, but enough to catch the condensate

Ive done this with my Frankensmoker with good results and the seasoning does stay... you can tell by how the water beads everywhere.

Frank (reverse flow)

Regular Cleanup

Cleanup is fairly easy:

• Drain grease drippings with ball valve into a container.
• Preheat RF and wipe out (scrape) reverse flow plate
• Wire brush grids.
• Wipe table with Clorox cleanup
• Vacuum out ashes from firebox.
• Place utensils and cooking supplies in slide out buss boy tray and slide closed.
• Spray inside and outside firebox lightly with cooking oil while still warm.

Seasonal Cleanup

• Preheat smoker to 300° using gas log lighter.
• Spray smoke chamber lightly with garden hose
• Close smoke chamber
• after about 10 minutes, open drain valve, open smoke chamber and rinse with garden hose.
• Close valve
• mist with oil through firebox inlet under reverse flow plate throughout smoke chamber and grates, close smoker chamber door.
• Turn of burner after 30 minutes and let the smoker cool
• No need to reseason

For my GOSM BB

Some notes on cleaning your BB.

Let your smoker cool a bit, I usually do this when its still warm, just watch the Smoker Box, it stays hot for quite a bit of time.

• Wipe the outside down with a degreaser such as 409, rarely needed
  • Remove any food particles and wipe out any visible grease with dry paper towels.
  • If you seasoned with "wood only", the sides should stay fairly clean.
  • Spray the racks with Pam before each use and after cleaning them.
  • Wipe out the excess grease from the sides and under the drip tray
  • Remove the drip pan and clean with soapy water, spray lightly with Pam.
  • Brush out all debris in the Smoker box, you can spray the Smoker box with Pam to keep from rusting, this will cook off next time you fire up the smoker
  • Take out the water pan, drain liquid, remove foil and wash with soapy water, make sure to wash the bottom real good, it may get some soot on it. TIP: Wipe the bottom with paper towels while still warm before using soapy water.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky