Smoker and covered patio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GoneFishingNw

Original poster
Apr 2, 2023
I live in WA and love to cook BBQ. Problem is the rain, especially during the winter. This result in my either putting the smoker away in garage or putting it under a pop up canopy. Not only to avoid getting wet as am smoking, but also also to keep water from sneaking into the hopper and general rust.

So I’m looking at building a covered deck/patio to put everything under including a table we can sit and eat at, etc. open one 3 sides, with the wall side having space for a counter, kamado and pellet grill.

The one thing I don’t have figured fully out is the smoke being trapped by the roof. Worried both about smoke discoloring the structure over time and smoke being trapped especially at startup. Wondering what people’s experiences are. Is it worth doing something like a range hood above the smoker to help gather and blow out the smoke? Or maybe something to extend the chimney through the roof?

I’m am thinking on the wall above the smoker to have a small window or 2, with a fan mounted in it to help push smoke out.

Thanks

Reactions: JLeonard
Would be good insurance to have a window with fan or fan built into a wall. Extending the chimney would more than likely change the way your smoker drafts.

If you haven't yet do a search here on the subject... maybe for outdoor kitchens. I know there's a couple threads here on what some members have and use for ventilation.

Ryan

My MES 30 been sitting under this roof since 2013 . No discoloration yet . It rolls a bunch of smoke too . A fan wouldn't hurt though .
1680452035386.jpeg

I have seen some people extend their stack out like a wood stove chimney. Idk if that works. But while I don’t have a wood structure my stack extends through my metal awning and could be an idea for you. Make sure the surrounding area is insulated so not to catch fire. I know it’s a different type smoker just wanted to offer some ideas I saw.

Attachments

• F1EA3A38-60D7-4B34-9CC7-3624624F0E59.jpeg
    F1EA3A38-60D7-4B34-9CC7-3624624F0E59.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 46
  • A1A28342-0EBF-4382-9B41-9B2BC60132F0.jpeg
    A1A28342-0EBF-4382-9B41-9B2BC60132F0.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 47
  • D7AC4DA4-1368-41DB-90AC-C48515049934.jpeg
    D7AC4DA4-1368-41DB-90AC-C48515049934.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: smokin peachey
Here's one of the threads Ryan mentioned .

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I do all my smoking in a screened in Gazebo or a garden shed. I appreciate the wind block most of all, at startup the oval smoke tube will generate quite a bit of smoke but it always dissipates. Once it’s producing TBS I don’t find it gets too thick. Haven’t noticed any discolouration but both structures are open beam and I really don’t care if the 2”X4” pick up colour.

When visiting my daughter in TX lots of outdoor kitchens with every imaginable type of smoker, most of the outdoor kitchens just have the smoker/smokers placed wherever, no fans or vent hoods. I did notice that many people have a matt underneath to catch spills.

IMHO if you can keep the rain off of the cook and provide a wall or two for a windbreak that’s all you will need. The smoke will find a way out long before the cook is choking due to too much smoke.

I have seen some people extend their stack out like a wood stove chimney. Idk if that works. But while I don’t have a wood structure my stack extends through my metal awning and could be an idea for you. Make sure the surrounding area is insulated so not to catch fire. I know it’s a different type smoker just wanted to offer some ideas I saw.
Great advice Flatbroke

Reactions: flatbroke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky