Smokenfly joins in

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokenfly

Original poster
Mar 26, 2014
My name is Jay. 20 year Air Force Vet. (ret). I was the average back yard BBQ enthusist. I love to cook over fire. I took this passion one step further. I now have a competition BBQ team in South Carolina "FiretowerBBQ". My son Brian and I started competing in 2012. I did it on a suggestion from my wife (big mistake on her part) because it was right next to the house where we live. Well we took 5th place and we were hooked. (OK, I was). We only did 2 comps that year. 14th on the next one out of 85 teams. Next year we did 3 or so staying in the top 50%. We never had a call but still continue to compete. This year 2014, I invested in a Backwoods Fatboy smoker. First time out we walked 3rd in ribs. I know it's like sports, any given Sunday, but I prefer to think of it as an investment well worth it. I am always looking for that "edge". My son now is hooked as well. We put out a mighty fine product either for the public or the backyard with the family. And also a growing number of friends we have hooked on the taste as well.

Hello Jay and welcome!  Sounds like you know your way around a pit!  Looking forward to your input around here...hope to see some of your Qview!

And Thank You for Your Service to Our Country!!   
usa.gif

Red

Hey Jay, welcome from East Texas. Congrats on  the new smoker and competing. I have a few friends that do and have done that and I know its a lot of hard work and fun. Love to go to the competitions and sample all the good Q. Wish I was able and set up to do some of that but I'll have to settle for smoking for family and friends. Good to have you, looking forward to many future post, tips and pictures.

Gary S

I have a comp this weekend in Aiken SC. "Horsin' and Hoggin". Brisket, Butts and Ribs. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Hey Jay

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky