Smokehouse sizing help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigboysmokehous

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 1, 2013
La Crosse, WI
Hello fellow smokers- I am planning to build a brick bottoms and cedar top smokehouse. My question is the size of a house I should build. What I plan to smoke will be brats, summer sausage, bacon, hams and whatever else that might be made in side there. The last time I made bacon I did 90 pounds and two weeks ago I smoked a ham after following Pop's 30 day curing. Let's say that was a bad ass ham and half of my family wants one done for them which would be roughly 8 hams. Always figure bigger is better in most cases and debating on food feed or gas feed heat source.

Thoughts and thanks in advance!

A 4X4 will handle what you're planning on smoking.  Obviously, put as many racks (or rack holders) as practical for the size house, but you won't have a problem fitting everything in a 4X4.  Remember, the bigger it is - the more fuel it will take.

Good luck.  Keep us posted.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky