Smokehouse construction question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

masonman1345

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Orangefield Texas
I'am preparing to build my first smokehouse. I want it to be 4'w x 4'L x 8'H with a one foot roof slope. I was going to build it out of sheets of plywood with a tin roof. Question, What do i need to use for the inside walls that wont contaminate my food? Tin, Wood etc. Also i was wondering if it would be a good idea to insulate the walls to hold in the heat. Thank you for your help.

Insulation is a good idea for temp stability.  Don't use anything galvanized in the burn or food chambers -- very toxic, esp when heated.  Ditto for treated lumber.  I would also be leery of glues in plywood products, so I guess that leaves wood planks, steel, or the like adjacent to the food.

I built one last year and I lined mine with tin because the wood walls were make of particle board and I didn't want that mixing in with my food. Also mine is insulated like crazy and it  holds temp no matter if it is -30 or 100 degrees out.

My son and I built our from 16 gage black iron(Cheep). I have been very happy with the results from it........The next one is just going to be stainless so it will last longer. I think this one is about 3-4 years old and sits out in the weather year round. I has a fine scale on the outside due to me not painting it. This was a trial and error build to see how it would turn out before I built the one from stainless, which is coming soon. 

Last edited:
My second smokehouse was lined with the cement/fiberglass board that is about  3/8' thick. I think it is used for shower stalls. Takes a long time to warm up. Thermal mass u-know. Condensation when first starts up. Pre-heating solves that. Pro's-not much chance of catching on fire. All that said, I will not build another smokehouse out of it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky