Smoked walleye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Could be a area thing on fish names. Down south where I'm from, Crappie are called White perch and up here in the north they are called crappie. When I first moved to Illinois and got into a bunch of crappie, the guy I was fishing with was making fun of me because I called them white perch.
Most likely. Sorry if i created confusion.

I hired a boat + skipper once for walleye fishing in lake Erie. We were out on the water...he was going on and on about pickerel. I told him "sorry but i didnt pay to fish pickerel, i am here for walleye". He probably tells the story to this day to his customers.

Last edited:
Sorry. Up here it goes by both names. Not sure how is south of the border.

Walleye is like a BIG Yellow Perch, and Awesome eating.
Pickerel is more streamlined, and IMO are so bony they're only good to eat if you grind them & make Fish Patties with them. We don't usually keep Pickerel, because they're too Bony.
Pickerel are like a baby Pike or Musky, but mostly all we have around here are "Chain" Pickerel.

Bear

Didn't make that up
20190608_104336-1.jpg

here in northeast pa
pickerel are pickerel and walleye are walleye two totally different fish, we used to pickle the pickerel those small bones actually dissolve really tasty nice white fillets.

No question we are all talking about the perch-like fish walleye not the pike-like pickerel.

But for some reason in Canada it is also called pickerel. Why? Don't know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky