Smoked walleye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
Decided to do up another batch of smoked walleye. Went over pretty good with the crew before.
Brined up and placed on racks. 1st pic racked turned out blurry, but got while in smoker
20190602_075416.jpg
TBS rolling , hickory,oak,cherry
20190602_075236.jpg
End product ( very satisfied)
20190602_151235.jpg

Not sure if you are serious or not, but in case yes, Walleye is a northern fish. To me it is one of the best tasting fish there is. Although the smoked walleye look tantalizing to me, I would go for them fried up in a heart beat!

Walleye is not common where I come from, but I've caught a Sauger (a close relative) around these parts. It was very tasty dipped in some cornmeal and fried!

Not sure if you are serious or not, but in case yes, Walleye is a northern fish. To me it is one of the best tasting fish there is. Although the smoked walleye look tantalizing to me, I would go for them fried up in a heart beat!

I agree. Walleye is the best tasting fish from what I tried here in pa. Yours looks great.

Walleye is not common where I come from, but I've caught a Sauger (a close relative) around these parts. It was very tasty dipped in some cornmeal and fried!
Aye... I'm originally from Cameron Parish Louisiana. No Walleye down there. My first experience with them was when I did a fly in trip to God's Lake Manitoba many years ago. Caught lots of them and the guide would fry them up for shore lunches. Then years later when I moved to Illinois, I would go to northern Wi. fishing for them.
Yes, saugers are related. Never caught one of those that I'm aware of.

Wow!!
Wish I had access to that many nice size Walleyes!!
Nice Job!
Looks Awesome!!
Like.

Bear

Nice! Where you getting that many walleye?
I had a couple of pkg from late season ice fishing, to go with a couple fish this past week that I hooked up on.
they look tasty, must have been some good size walleye's look like some big fillets
They were 17" - 20" fish
Been thinking about going for some walleye. Those look prescription.

What was your brine recipe?
to
Got to thank Bearcarver for his "smoked salmon recipe", have used it before with same excellent results.

Thanks all for the likes...

Don't they dry up?

I keep planning for a walleye smoke then i end up pan frying them.

P.s. for folks not familiar with walleye - also called pickerel. Imo best white fish are walleye and halibut.Walleye sells for half the price of halibut here; guess which one i eat more often.

Reactions: danbury
Don't they dry up?

P.s. for folks not familiar with walleye - also called pickerel. Imo best white fish are walleye and halibut.Walleye sells for half the price of halibut here; guess which one i eat more often.

Walleye isnt pickerel.

Don't they dry up?

I'm with you... if I get my hands on some walleye, they are dipped in cornmeal/flour/seasoning and pan fried. After walleye, good wild caught catfish is my go to fish!

Could be a area thing on fish names. Down south where I'm from, Crappie are called White perch and up here in the north they are called crappie. When I first moved to Illinois and got into a bunch of crappie, the guy I was fishing with was making fun of me because I called them white perch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky