Smoked Venison Snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Greeno17

Original poster
Dec 6, 2018
I recently got into making my own snack sticks. I got a Masterbuilt smoker and all the equipment for snack sticks and brat making.

I have made about 4 batches of snack sticks (all 6lb batches, 4lbs of venison and 2 lbs of pork) and I have a few questions about them. They all have been editable and good, but I am reading that most are smoking them for anywhere from 4 to 8 hours? I smoke mine at 180 degrees for 2 hours with smoke and then for an additional 1 hour at 180 without smoke, and that's it. Should i be doing this longer? They taste good and they are not dried out, they have good juice in them, but i think that really anything over 4 hours would turn our dried out?

My internal temp thermometer reads around 130 degrees when all said and done but im not sure how accurate it is.

Thanks,
Justin

Justin Are you using cure #1 in your mix?
130 degrees is a very low temp I would suggest you get a dependable thermo probe.
Snack sticks are normally finished to a IT of 150 degrees
Richie

I mostly use the Backwoods Hot Snack Stick seasoning, which has the cure packet with it.

I mostly use the Backwoods Hot Snack Stick seasoning, which has the cure packet with it.

According to the instructions on their web page.
  • "Stuff into sheep casings or 17-21mm collagen casings and smoke in smoker or cook in oven at 180°F. until the internal temperature reaches 165°F."

130 is too low, unless held there for 2 hours. Get a verifiable therm to check IT. Best method is start at 130° for 1 hour, no smoke. Increase to 140, add smoke and increase 10°F every hour until the IT reaches 150°F. Chill in ice water and hang to bloom an hour or 2. Refrigerate...JJ

Yep, and that's what I try to do. But if i go any longer than 4 hours, they become super dry. I dont want them like jerky

I make mine with only straight ground Venison, no Pork added. I do as mentioned above, 10 degrees per hour to a 155 IT. Everyone at work raves about them, and virtually fat free. I use collagen casing by the way.

Yep, and that's what I try to do. But if i go any longer than 4 hours, they become super dry. I dont want them like jerky

Something is not right. I have followed the above temps for a batch of Kabanosy, kielbasa snack sticks, that went 8 hours to hit 150. They were very juicy. I used 22mm collagen casing. Verify your therm is accurate...JJ

130 is too low, unless held there for 2 hours. Get a verifiable therm to check IT. Best method is start at 130° for 1 hour, no smoke. Increase to 140, add smoke and increase 10°F every hour until the IT reaches 150°F. Chill in ice water and hang to bloom an hour or 2. Refrigerate...JJ
Why do you do the first hour without smoke? I would think that would be the time for best smoke absorption.

That allows the casing to dry more,the smoke will adhere to it better.
Richie

Let me add... As JJ said.. start at 120-130` (Smoker checked with a calibrated thermometer) for one hour to dry the casings (smoke won't stick to wet casings)... Start raising temps by 10` every hour until you reach a MAX of 170-180` smoker temp.... Then keep an eye on IT of the sticks until 153` is reached (with a calibrated thermometer) ...

If your sticks are drying out within a 4 hr cook... Then I can almost guarantee your smoker temps are not accurate (how are you measuring smoker temps ?)... Also... add 1/2 - 3/4 cup of non fat powdered milk (NFPM) to every 5 lbs of meat...

(smoke won't stick to wet casings)...

If your sticks are drying out within a 4 hr cook... Then I can almost guarantee your smoker temps are not accurate (how are you measuring smoker temps ?)... Also... add 1/2 - 3/4 cup of non fat powdered milk (NFPM) to every 5 lbs of meat...[/QUOTE]

Gotcha! I’m using collagen casing that appears to be dry, but I’ll give it a go.
What does the powdered milk do? Thanks for your quick reply smoking a batch this morning.

As Richie said.. the NFPM helps retain moisture without giving it any kind of noticeable flavor... myself, I use one cup (run through the spice grinder) for every 10 lbs of meat....

so, could you use another type of milk to the mix or does it have to be the non fat powdered. I have the lactate free milk at my house.

NFDM has the protein, binder in sausage, concentrated. 1cup NFDM has 24g Protein. 1cup 2% Lactaid has only 8g...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky