Smoked venison heart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
Had some friends coming to visit earlier this week so thought a smoked venison heart would make for some good afternoon snacking. Following in the footsteps of crazymoon crazymoon and one of his posts, they turn out simply amazing! Rubbed the heart down with some garlic infused olive oil thanks to Robert, tx smoker tx smoker then coated with some montreal steak seasoning, some Tony Cs and stuffed some minced garlic down inside the heart and into fridge overnight wrapped. Next day got heart out of fridge while firing up the kettle. Threw on some Iowa flavor enhancer from Mr Rub cuz I wanted to try it on heart.

20201214_103449.jpg

20201216_213835.jpg

Was high of about 25 F and a little breeze so decided to keep kettle in it's own little house.

20201214_112210.jpg

20201214_112220.jpg

Used RO briquettes with some hickory chunks and a few cherry pellets that don't like to burn in my amnps

20201214_112232.jpg

Pulled at 145 and it carried to 152

20201214_122023.jpg

Little higher than I would have liked but still turned out excellent!

20201214_135232.jpg

Bad news is our friends didn't make it...alternator went out of their truck. Good news is...I did let him know how good it was!
Thanks for looking! And ya all stay safe!

Ryan

That looks great Ryan! Looks like your friends really missed out! Ive not been able to save the heart too many times...its a real treat for sure!

Had some friends coming to visit earlier this week so thought a smoked venison heart would make for some good afternoon snacking. Following in the footsteps of crazymoon crazymoon and one of his posts, they turn out simply amazing! Rubbed the heart down with some garlic infused olive oil thanks to Robert, tx smoker tx smoker then coated with some montreal steak seasoning, some Tony Cs and stuffed some minced garlic down inside the heart and into fridge overnight wrapped. Next day got heart out of fridge while firing up the kettle. Threw on some Iowa flavor enhancer from Mr Rub cuz I wanted to try it on heart.

View attachment 475610

View attachment 475611

Was high of about 25 F and a little breeze so decided to keep kettle in it's own little house.

View attachment 475612

View attachment 475613

Used RO briquettes with some hickory chunks and a few cherry pellets that don't like to burn in my amnps

View attachment 475614

Pulled at 145 and it carried to 152

View attachment 475615

Little higher than I would have liked but still turned out excellent!

View attachment 475616

Bad news is our friends didn't make it...alternator went out of their truck. Good news is...I did let him know how good it was!
Thanks for looking! And ya all stay safe!

Ryan
Looks great. Loving all the venison posts lately.

That looks great Ryan! Looks like your friends really missed out! Ive not been able to save the heart too many times...its a real treat for sure!
Thanks Travis! Usually I get a few hearts, but not this year...for some odd reason all the guys thought the hearts had bullseyes on them. What were they thinking? Lol

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: Sowsage
That's awesome Ryan. Looks delicious. Love the stuff but rarely get one
Thanks Jake! Next time we get an abundance of them I'll send ya a couple. Unfortunately next chance will be a year from now... you better remind me cuz I suffer from CRS!

Ryan

Got a deer heart and a small roast marinating now. Gonna throw it on the kettle this afternoon. First for me. Hope it turns out as well as yours!
Jim

Looks about right to me. Nice job!
Thanks Brian! Wasn't even gonna post it but after seeing a couple of your latest posts you changed my mind!

Got a deer heart and a small roast marinating now. Gonna throw it on the kettle this afternoon. First for me. Hope it turns out as well as yours!
Jim
Good luck Jim, and thanks! I'm sure it'll turn out great...and wanna see pics of it for sure.

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
I've not had the privilege of enjoying deer heart but I gotta say Ryan, that looks REALLY good. I'd be all over that.

Robert

BH, Your heart looks and I'm sure was delicious. It is the only way to do a deer heart for me ! You cut yours length wise and I cut across but I guess it is all good ! LIKE

Never tried it, but would love to!
It looks delicious!
Al
Thanks Al! If I'd have gotten more than one I'd gladly send one to you.

I've not had the privilege of enjoying deer heart but I gotta say Ryan, that looks REALLY good. I'd be all over that.

Robert
Thanks Robert! They are really good! So good I don't believe I could bring myself to put gravy on one!

Ryan

BH, Your heart looks and I'm sure was delicious. It is the only way to do a deer heart for me ! You cut yours length wise and I cut across but I guess it is all good ! LIKE
Thank you! I'm sure glad I saw your post on them last year I believe it was, don't think I'll ever do them any other way. To be honest I didn't think when I cut into it, was saving it for afternoon snacking with some beverages of course but our company didn't make it. I hadn't eaten much and been smelling this for a couple hours... lucky there wasn't a big ole bite out of it!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky