Smoked Venison Dried Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm glad you restoked this thread desertloper, I'm waiting to drop one more doe this year and then make me a batch. I tried this for the first time a couple years ago and the family loved it. The only thing I did different was brined the meat for 14 days using Pop's brine recipe. 

I'm curious as to cold smoking this Bear, have you tried this yet? What would the cold smoke method do to the meat after a 14 day wet cure brine? 

I'm glad you restoked this thread desertloper, I'm waiting to drop one more doe this year and then make me a batch. I tried this for the first time a couple years ago and the family loved it. The only thing I did different was brined the meat for 14 days using Pop's brine recipe. 

I'm curious as to cold smoking this Bear, have you tried this yet? What would the cold smoke method do to the meat after a 14 day wet cure brine? 
You can cold smoke it if you want to get an additional amount of smoke on it, but it still has to get to 145° IT before you eat it.

Also, I find Dry Curing with TQ gives a better flavor than Soaking in a Brine Cure.

Bear

I used this step-by-step process to make this stuff here this week. I have to give credit to Bear for accepting my messages and answering my questions. Turned out to to be a lot easier to do than I expected. And absolutely worth every second of the cure process. It turned out amazing, and probably won't last long enough to even bother to package up.

I used this step-by-step process to make this stuff here this week. I have to give credit to Bear for accepting my messages and answering my questions. Turned out to to be a lot easier to do than I expected. And absolutely worth every second of the cure process. It turned out amazing, and probably won't last long enough to even bother to package up.
Thank You for the nice comments!!

I'm real glad you liked it, as it was a pleasure helping you.

Yours,

Bear

Last edited:
I was wondering if there was a way you could do this with ground venison?
You could not make Venison Dried Beef with ground Venison, but you could make Sticks, sausage, and Jerky with Ground Venison, if you mix it with some Ground Beef and-or Pork & seasonings & cure.

Bear

i saw a way to make ground venison bacon, and I thought maybe I could use the same technique while using cure and brown sugar instead.

i saw a way to make ground venison bacon, and I thought maybe I could use the same technique while using cure and brown sugar instead.
You can use Ground Venison in the Mix with Ground Pork to make a Ground Formed Bacon, but that's a completely different item & method.

I believe MossyMo sells the kits--I'll check for you.

Bear

PM this Guy:

"MossyMO"

He can hook you up with a packet & instructions for making Venison Bacon (Formed).

He's a Great guy, and will help you out. Tell him Bear sent you.

Bear

I'm brand new and want to do some of this. I have elk and deer every year and have had Maplewood Meats and Nueske's Meats (both in Wisconsin) do this for me. It is getting extremely expensive. I have a big Cookshack smoker and would like to do some cured,smoked and sliced venison. Where do I find brining or curing recipes

I'm brand new and want to do some of this. I have elk and deer every year and have had Maplewood Meats and Nueske's Meats (both in Wisconsin) do this for me. It is getting extremely expensive. I have a big Cookshack smoker and would like to do some cured,smoked and sliced venison. Where do I find brining or curing recipes
If you can get some TQ (Mortons Tender Quick), everything you need to know is in Post #1 of this Thread.

Elk & Deer make Awesome Dried Beef !!!

And Really cheap if you do your own!!

Just yell if you run into a question.

BTW: Here's another Venison Dried Beef from Deer Backstrap:

Venison Backstrap Dried Beef

Bear

Last edited:
Thanks im new to curing want to try it out on a deer loin. just didn’t think 2 teaspoons per 10lbs was enough to cover the meat

That's one of the reasons I use TQ.
If you want to use Cure #1 (Pink Salt), it's easier to use a Brine Cure. See "Pops Curing Method".
That way all of the meat gets cured equally.

Bear

I had friends give me a bunch of deer meat and I just got done vacuum sealing dried deer. Very long process from start to finish, but it was well worth the time, I only did 6lbs to try, wish I would have done more. Awesome recipe, I can’t wait to share this with my friends. Thank you for the detailed instructions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky