Smoked turkey advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tom Munson

Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
I was wondering if I could get some help on this subject. I have read and seen many different ways to smoke a turkey. Ok for starters I’m using a pellet grill. I did smoke a small turkey for thanksgiving and the flavor was amazing, along with it being very juicy and moist. I spatchcocked and brined it, then did a dry rub under the skin. However, the skin was rubbery, although the color was great. What is the best way to crisp the skin. Also I’m going to be smoking a 22lb. turkey today, it’s been brining for 48 hours, and I plan on spatchcocking it again. I was wondering what temps do I start out with to obtain crisp skin, excellent smoke flavor and avoid the danger zone with such a big bird. It was a lot easier with a smaller bird. Just looking for advice on a bigger bird.

Reactions: Tom Munson
Smoke it for a few hours and throw it in your oven at 500 once the bird gets to 160 ish.... This bird came out of the oven a few hours ago... in the refer until later...

Turkey 12-25-17 002.JPG

Reactions: Tom Munson
thanks, food for thought guys although i was thinking by spatchcocking the turkey it would cook more evenly throughout. what temp do i need to look for in the breast and the leg/thigh??

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky