smoked trout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronald

Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
Ogden Utah
Is it best to use a water pan? I have never used one but if it makes trout better I sure want to try it?

I smoke a LOT of trout, and I do not use a water pan (I do use one for most other smokes, though).  I hot smoke (225 - 250*) for 1.5 - 2 hours until the fish flakes with a fork.  This produces a slightly dry texture which we prefer.  (This is really great on crackers with cream cheese!)  Water pans generally help keep temps stable and keeps the moisture level up during long smokes.  I butterfly the trout, salt & pepper and place on the grate skin side up (unless fileted).

My buddy made some smoked Lake Trout, and he smothered it with mayonaise, Yes Mayonaise!!

Sounds weird, but the mayo kept the fish from drying out and it was awesome!

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky