Smoked Tri Tip and Wicked Baked Beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tom in nc

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
Mebane, NC
I've been wanting to try a smoked tri tip ever since I received Jeff's newsletter describing his smoke of this cut of meat.  I live in a somewhat rural part of North Carolina so I had a challenge finding someone who knew what a tri tip was, never mind finding someone who could order one for me.  On a whim, my wife stopped at one of the higher end grocery stores and asked if they sold tri tips.  Well it was my lucky day as they had one on the table that they were just about to cut up for kabob meat.  Saturday I put the tri tip in a zip lock bag with 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce and 6 tablespoons of Jeff's rub and let it sit overnight.  Sunday I made the baked beans and got the smoker cranked up with some hickory and cherry chunks mixed in the charcoal. Once my Weber Smokey Mountain was up to temp and putting out TBS I put the beans on first.  Thirty to forty minutes later, the tri tip hit the top rack.  I kept the temps between 230 and 240 and the tri tip was at 145 within 75 minutes.  I was surprised how quick it got up to temp.  I brought the roast in the house and let it rest while we plated the beans and homemade potato salad the wife made the night before.  I sliced up the tri tip and it was so tender and delicious it was unbelievable.  I'll be smoking this cut of meat often!  Now, on to the que-view...

Tri tip and beans on the smoker...
859998ea_IMG_0008.jpg

Slicing the tri tip across the grain on the bias...
02da3c65_IMG_0012.jpg

Plated and ready for eating with smoked baked beans and potato salad!
fabd4c81_IMG_0013.jpg

Last edited:
That looks Amazing!!! Awesome job!!! The color is Perfect, just what I like!!! Wish i could find one around here.

Hey Raptor,

I can't take credit for the beans.  It's actually Dutch's recipe and I found it on this forum.  If you search for Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans you'll get the original thread.  I thought it was a sticky but I couldn't find it.  Below is the recipe...

Here's Dutch's baked beans - enjoy I know I did

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
1/2 Medium onion, diced
1/2 Bell pepper, diced (Tom in NC: I like to use red and green bell pepper)
1 - 2 Jalapeño Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
1 - 55 ounce can Bush’s BakedBeans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup ketchup
1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Sauté bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Sauté onion, bell pepper and jalapeño pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 – 3 hours (make sure temperature of the bakedbeans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

In California I could find Tri Tip whenever I wanted it. In SC I couldnt find it and then AL isnt much better. Luckily me being military I can get it in the comissary. After seeing this thread I might need to pick one up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky