smoked spareribs last night

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chris_harper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 21, 2006
Waco, TX
yesterday i went to the store to get something to smoke. they had spareribs on sale, $1.29/lb. i bought a pack (2 slabs) and took it home, along with a whole yardbird, on sale for $0.59/lb. they had japs on sale, $0.79/lb, so i got a dozen of them, a block of cheddar, a pack of bacon, and a roll of JD sage. i smoked it all last night. i rubbed the chick with EVOO, and put lemon pepper on it. i put EVOO on the ribs, and sprinkled black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, and cajun seasoning on them. made a mop of red wine vinegar, bourbon, and worcestershire sauce. fixed up the ABT's, and put it all in the smoker at 5:45 p.m. i put the mop in one of those $1 squirt bottles from wally world, the kinf SoFlaQuer uses for his finishing sauce. i squirted the ribs after an hour. on hour 2, i squirted the ribs and the bird. the bird was done at 8:50 p.m. and we had it for supper. i used the 3-2-1 method on the ribs. i pulled the ribs at 11:45 p.m. and wrapped them in foil again, putting them in the fridge. i pulled them out this morning and put them in the oven (250°) for a couple of hours to re-heat. made up a batch of modified wicked beans. just had it for lunch. the ribs were very good, and fall off the bone tender. here is a pic of the ribs.
8e64e303_vbattach11655.jpg

nice pull back to see the bones! I can't imagine putting something in after 5! I'd be afraid of something happening and having to order pizza at 10 o'clock!!
confused.gif

i generally start after 2 p.m. or so. i would rather stay up late, than wake up early to start a smoke session. plus, i got off work at 11 a.m. sunday morning, so by the time i got a shower, went to the store and back, and got everything ready, it was 5 before i got it in the smoker. i didn't plan on eating the ribs last night, hence why i did the yardbird too. my wife doesn't really care for smoked chicken, but she likes the rest of the stuff i have smoked. she would rather eat chicken fried or grilled. how do i explain to her why chicken looks like it does inside when smoked? i tried to explain it as best as i could, but she wasn't buying it. any suggestions on an easy way to make her understand? i really don't care if i smoke another chicken or not, as i don't care for chicken. i would rather eat beef any day. pork is ok every now and then too.

Chris, if it's the flavor she doesn't like there isn't much you can do for that unless you find a miracle injection or rub that she loves.. if you do, let us know about it.

Which "look" inside doesn't she like? If it's the pink smoke ring, you might cut back on the smoke which might ease off the flavor she doesn't like. Or try different wood flavors. I guess I'm just shooting in dark since I don't know exactly what the issues are with the chicken.

Can't be 100% all the time I guess. My wife doesn't care for a lot of smoked meats either, so the boys and I eat most of it, then I haul some left overs to work too.

Keep Smokin

Looks great Chris, your a smoking machine, just out of curiosity how many days a week do you smoke on average??

BEEF..... it's what's for dinner.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

the pink from the smoke is what worries her, she thinks it is not done. i tell her i took it to 165°, and she knows i use a thermometer.
i smoke 2 or 3 times a week.

I can vouch for Chris's smoked meats. I am all the time trying out his stuff at work. Fatties, roasts, he made some chili one night...

The guy IS a smoking machine.

Chris, given the nature of most to believe certain meats aren't done if they are pink (eg pork & poultry) I believe it will be hard to ever change her mind, after all she was trained her whole life believing it. Check out this link.. maybe it will help.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/Is_PInk..._Meat_Safe.pdf

Chicken - I can take it or leave it, I like my meat to have hooves

Keep Smokin

Chris

those ribs lok great! I can't believe you stole em for $1.29/lb! I'd load up my Dakota for that price!

My borother-in-law has the same problem with the pink color. He won't eat anything unless it's black all the way through.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky