Smoked Short-ribs w/Garlic Braise finish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ugh - now I have to go to Restaurant Depot again :)!!!!

That looks amazing!!!!
Thank you! 🤣 Ironically that’s where I picked up these short ribs at around 4.50 a pound. I try to support my butcher for things like this, but it was a lot of meat for the crowd and the butcher was out so….Resturaunt Depot was the go too!

Looks good thanks for sharing. I have a question though. Putting it in all that liquid then cranking up the heat to almost 400 degrees. Aren't you close to boiling them?
I looked up a couple things that I looked at when I first started down this path a while back and can give a better answer now, at least my theory. First, braise is a lot like BBQ with a lot of different opinions on what it means, but the common thread throughout is getting the temp of meat in a hot moist environment long enough to render collagen to gelatin using flavorful liquids. Most braises Ive looked at brown the meat in the braising pan first, followed by aromatics and flavorful liquid in a small amount, to 3/4, to completely covering the meat. Then covered, sometimes not, into oven ranging from 275 to 375, depending on source, until meat is fall apart. Water can never go above 212 and Because I have a lot of mass with all the liquid and beef in a full hotel pan, and because I’m already putting the meat in at about 175 IT, the braise is never in there long enough at 375 to come to a boil. As the smoker comes down to settle at its comfort level, the mass of the pan absorbed the heat, but because the temperature is dropping never goes beyond a simmer, keeping a hot moist environment without a boil.

On this one I wanted some structure still to the ribs, like a brisket, others I’ve done go to fall apart, but this one I pulled right at probe tender for long rest to keep the structure together. Ok. Hope this helps more!

Man those cup cakes musta been something if this was a losing plate! Looks like a winner to me!

Jim
🤣 Thank you Jim! I’m not a cupcake snob, but they were pretty amazing. Best I’ve ever had! It was pretty informal voting, more me listening to people’s reactions on what they were eating….and since I was hosting, I figured it would be bad form to declare myself the winner🤣 So, I went with the cupcakes and the best bbq can continue to be debated within the crew🤣
Very Very nice Jed
Just love the ribs, plate looks great also.

I could go for that

I have a small pork loin rib roast in the smoker now , hope as good a meal as you have here

David
Thank you David! I really appreciate the compliments! I have no doubt yours will turn out amazing as always. Are you going with a Caribbean theme?
Nice work Jed ! Looks fantastic .
Thank you Chop! I appreciate it!

Holy cow Jed. I honestly don't think I've ever seen anything that looks so amazing. Simply an astonishing effort sir and kudos on getting the much deserved ride.

Robert

Reactions: bauchjw
Wow Jed, that all looks phenomenal my friend! I am really liking that garlic braise…. I could definitely sit down to a plate of that!
Congrats on the ride as well! 🍻

bauchjw bauchjw yeah its hard to turn down a good cupcake. And your a gracious host. That plate is a winner to me.

Jim
Thank you Jim! It was one heck of cupcake🤣 I appreciate the compliment!
Jed, probably one of the best meals I've seen on this site! Hell of a nice job bud
Thank you Jake, that is very high praise. I would have to respectfully disagree though. You guys put out some really amazing meals, I’m just starting to learn!
Holy cow Jed. I honestly don't think I've ever seen anything that looks so amazing. Simply an astonishing effort sir and kudos on getting the much deserved ride.

Robert
Thank you Robert! That is extremely kind of you to say. I’m just trying to get to your guys level!
Yes it was great and no sorry not a theme meal this time , but 1 is coming up very soon

David
Cant wait! Congrats on the throw down win! Very well deserved!
Wow Jed, that all looks phenomenal my friend! I am really liking that garlic braise…. I could definitely sit down to a plate of that!
Congrats on the ride as well! 🍻
Thank you Justin! I’ve been into the braise because it’s so forgiving and easier with a hectic house to pull off! I appreciate your time and the compliment!
Dang! That looks amazing!
Thank you KC!
That looks impressive. If it tasted half as good as it looks, yikes.

What was in those cupcakes? Unicorn milk? Unreal.
Thank you, it was pretty tasty! They were pretty amazing cupcakes
1671603024338.png

Merry Christmas, that all looks phenomenal! Top notch stuff right there!

Wow that must have been some cupcake to beat out those ribs Jed. Beautiful Job

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky