Smoked Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Charcoal Chump

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Smoked some salmon for the first time this weekend at my brothers request. I'm not a big fan of fish but I tasted some and it was good. I will definitely be doing some for myself soon.
Forgot to take a photo of it on my UDS or before I took the first bite. I used the brown sugar and salt dry brine overnight then used some sugar maple wood chunks for smoke.
IMG_0277.JPEG

Looks Real Nice, Chump!!
I never tried Dry Brining Salmon.
I Dry Cure my Bacons, but I always Wet Brine my Salmon.
Gotta try it one of these days!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: daricksta
I did some smoked salmon this weekend too, also using the dry brine with brown sugar and salt. I gotta say it is my new favorite way to eat salmon! Ended up glazing it with a mixture of honey, soy sauce, fresh crushed garlic, and fresh cracked pepper for the last hour of the cook. There is no fish left.

Salmon looks terrific, nice job.

Point for sure.

Chris

Smoked salmon is one of life's delicacies, especially for those who live in the landlocked midwest.

Reactions: slapaho_injun
Bearcarver Bearcarver

Why do you prefer a wet brine with salmon instead of a dry brine? I just dry brined salmon for turning it into smoked salmon candy because that was Jeff Phillips's recipe direction. The reason I like it is because it's simpler to make up than a wet brine, in my opinion.

Rick

Agreed! Dry brine is far more effective that a wet brine on fish in my opinion. There is just no need. A plain and simple 4:1 ratio sugar/salt and nothing else. It draws all the liquid out of the fish it needs and looks like a "wet" brine anyway. I don't rinse after and do not glaze either. Its just that simple.

Bearcarver Bearcarver

Why do you prefer a wet brine with salmon instead of a dry brine? I just dry brined salmon for turning it into smoked salmon candy because that was Jeff Phillips's recipe direction. The reason I like it is because it's simpler to make up than a wet brine, in my opinion.

Rick

I had Great results, and found it easy & more controlled than burying it in the ingredients.
I hate to switch from a Winner, and the hundreds who have tried mine have loved it.
It's one of my most Complimented Step by Steps.
Link:
Smoked Salmon

Bear

Bear, I'll look at your smoked salmon step by step when I buy another salmon filet in a couple of weeks. I want to do a straight smoked job, no candy. Fresh Copper River Sockeye Salmon is plentiful now and it's the only time of year I buy salmon. Frozen/thawed just doesn't taste the same.

Bear, I'll look at your smoked salmon step by step when I buy another salmon filet in a couple of weeks. I want to do a straight smoked job, no candy. Fresh Copper River Sockeye Salmon is plentiful now and it's the only time of year I buy salmon. Frozen/thawed just doesn't taste the same.

I think you guys out there have better sources for Salmon than we do!!!
Use whatever works best for you.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky