Smoked salmon -- a lesson learned, plus Qview.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What Bear didn't tell you is that when he's done smoking some salmon, he should send a nice sized sample to his Buddy in Jersey.
LOL---One of my best Vietnam buddies works at the post office.

That package would be intercepted, in a search & devour mission!

Bear

Thanks Bear.  I just may give it a try on my next batch.  I tend to like my smoked salmon/trout very "done", like you, more for snacking or adding to recipes than having as a main dish for dinner.

How long do you air dry to get the pellicle?
Don't know who that question is for, but I usually put my fish on my racks overnight (in my meat fridge) before smoking (uncovered), to get some pellicle, and then if it doesn't have enough, I put it in the smoker for the first hour at 120˚ or 130˚ without smoke. That usually gives it a good pellicle.

I never used a fan, but I imagine the speed of the fan, and the humidity in the air would have something to do with how long that kind of air drying would take.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky