smoked ribs, gasoline taste

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Djdoug

Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Hi I'm having a problem with my ribs. I have a reverse flow smoker, I use cherry wood, and its dry seasoned wood. But im getting feedback from people at times that it has a fuel taste. I light the smoker with a propane torch, but after it gets going I shut it off and wait 30 minutes before putting meats on. Any thoughts on this.

If your exhaust is dark or smokey, then that smoke can/will impart a sour chemical taste.
The bad flavors in smoke are burned off and don't make it into the meat if the fire gets enough airflow to burn clean.
You are looking for an almost invisible blue smoke, that's all or you risk the sour elements in the smoke reaching the meat.

Reactions: JC in GB
I agree with C Chasdev . It sounds like an airflow problem. What does your air intake look like going into your fire box? You should ideally have one vent below the fire for primary combustion and one vent near the top of the fire box for secondary combustion. Lack of secondary combustion can result in the heavy smoke Chasdev was speaking of.

JC :emoji_cat:

What is the smoker made out of and how long has it been in use? Is the smoke coming out of the stack thin blue or not visible at all or is it kind of white?

Maybe a long shot but where do you get your wood, I've never had this happen but some people say that they can taste the oil from the chainsaw on they're food.

Welcome "D" !!
The only time I ever got that type of smell from Grilling was about 30 years ago, when I used Charcoal Lighter fuel. Then I got a Charcoal Lighting Chimney, and never smelled it again.

"Bear" from SouthEast PA.

If someone is cutting your wood, I have heard folks cutting wood for food cooking put vegetable oil in their saws... Be sure to dump the bar oil first... IT DOES NOT GO IN THE GASOLINE... IN THE BAR OILER ONLLY...
I don't know if damage will result... It's just what I have heard...

If someone is cutting your wood, I have heard folks cutting wood for food cooking put vegetable oil in their saws... Be sure to dump the bar oil first... IT DOES NOT GO IN THE GASOLINE... IN THE BAR OILER ONLLY...
I don't know if damage will result... It's just what I have heard...

Yup---I know guys who used cooking oil in their Chainsaws when they went on some Park lands, by rule.
It doesn't hurt the Chainsaw---It only lubes the chain.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky