Smoked Prime Rib on the Lang

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
How I managed to make it this long before I Smoked a prime rib is beyond me, but I finally did one today. Had the family over, and we all feasted on one heck of a meal!
665B33F5-C608-416D-A3FD-70B9E5275B47.jpeg
Started out with a 3 bone choice standing rib roast. I seasoned it w salt, pepper, garlic and worsechishier sauce the night before.

535D2603-0739-498B-BA78-619DEE42C56E.jpeg

I planned to cook low and slow, around 225 degrees and didn’t deviate much the entire cook. I used hickory and a little cherry wood, but not much.

3985A8B6-8C57-4613-988F-A92B1F87ED4D.jpeg
Here it is about 1 hour in. I made a garlic butter basting sauce, and mopped the roast every 30-45 minutes.

F9C637F2-CB1F-4977-AFE2-B429BFBBD9AB.jpeg
About 3.5 hours in and 105-110 degrees. Getting close...

32DEF097-A77A-4D89-A1CE-70F1A57D32A4.jpeg
And here it is 4.5 hours in. I pulled it at 130, and tented it for 30/40 minutes. It climbed to 137 in that time frame. Also, my cook temps stayed steady the entire time, never getting above 230.

I really wish I had taken a pic of everyone at the table, it was truly a sight to behold. I’ve never seen everyone converge on a meal quite like this one.

6309C799-0BCB-4463-AA5C-81E150FFA373.jpeg
7F2A65F0-CB81-4FEB-BEDB-3685B91E6CCF.jpeg
There were 5 adults and one child, and all that was left were the bones. Yum!!

Thanks for looking!

Man that just looks PERFECT!! I have to go eat now you made me hungry !!
Thanks jcam! I’m still stuffed!!
I haven't done one on the smoker yet but this one looks perfect!
I’m already looking forward to the next time...
I love smoked prime rib and yours looks awesome. Like!
It’s my new favorite meat to smoke!
Smoked prime rib = Heavenly nectar

That looks delicious and now I want something I can't have right now.

Pound it :emoji_right_facing_fist:
Thanks preacher! I looked to your PR thread for both motivation and direction!

Beautiful Prime Rib, 73!!
Just about exactly like I do mine, so I know you loved it!!
Amazing how easy such an Awesome thing can be!!
Nice Job,
Like.

Bear

Reactions: 73saint
Beautiful Prime Rib, 73!!
Just about exactly like I do mine, so I know you loved it!!
Amazing how easy such an Awesome thing can be!!
Nice Job,
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear! You know darn good and well I read many Bear smoked prime rib threads before cooking that bad boy!!

that looks beautiful i love smoked PR on a lang its delicious. i made two for Easter and they were fantastic! congrats to you!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: 73saint
137 IT and that color profile. So awesome! I need to check my probes accuracy. I did a 6 lb Eye of round last week and pulled it at 125 IT it went to 133IT and was a bit more done than that.
Great looking Prime rib!!!!!!!

137 IT and that color profile. So awesome! I need to check my probes accuracy. I did a 6 lb Eye of round last week and pulled it at 125 IT it went to 133IT and was a bit more done than that.
Great looking Prime rib!!!!!!!
Thank you...ya know, I gotta give credit to bear, his recipes state that if you bring your temps up slowly, you will keep that gorgeous pink color. I’d have never of know that had it not been for him.

Reactions: fullborebbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky