Smoked Pork Shoulder Country Style Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cpanderson

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
Corona, CA
Just got a new MES 30, so I was itching to break it in. I went to the local grocer, only to find that nothing was on sale, so I settled paying too much because I couldn't wait. I picked up some boneless country style ribs cut from the pork shoulder and seasoned with a dry rub I have lying around
oGaTyXl.jpg

I tossed it in the MES30 for 3 hours at 225, adding cherry wood chips 3 times (I think next time I will go with 2 additions), where I pulled it out at about 145 degrees
KaIInJD.jpg

to foil with some butter, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar.
3DTbtxZ.jpg

I let it foil for about an hour, after which I pulled it out and sprinkled some brown sugar on it to caramelize for another 45 minutes.
I had project supervision by Sebastian... AKA Sir BatSh*t, who was intrigued by the smells. He was given a small taste for keeping an eye on things.
YoWef6S.jpg

hgWvxAv.jpg

Finally I was able to slice it up and serve... It was pretty fantastic. The wife doesn't care for too much smoke, but she really loved this. I also didn't go over 155, because I wanted it to be knife tender, and I am happy with the outcome.

dZCPLo7.jpg

r2E7Vq0.jpg

Time for me to go get seconds!

Haha I might have had a few cold ones but that cat picture is cracking me up!

Anyways those CSR’s look great points on that cook for sure. Broke that MES in nicely!

If you get a sec look into the AMNPS. Can smoke for hours without having to deal with adding wood chips every 20 minutes. Makes a hell of a difference

Reactions: cpanderson
That cat drives me crazy some times but I love him... I rescued him as a 4 week old when I saw the neighbor trying to beat it with a stick to get it out of his engine compartment when it was cold outside... He always follows me around in the windows when I am out back... waiting for me to come back in so he can climb up on my shoulders...

vt30tWM.jpg

Don't let those cute eyes fool you though... he is batsh*t crazy... hence his nickname Sir BatSh*t!... He runs circles around the house at 2 am making noises that remind me of a Dilophosaurus from Jurassic Park!

On another note... I have purchased an AMNPS... but I am still waiting on my pellets to arrive from Amazon... so I settled with using the chips I had on hand.

Looks great butt I get mine closer to 200-205 ,closer to pulled pork ,they are also great grilled ,the wife cant take a lot of smoke so the pellet smoker is easier on her taste buds these days ,love my MBS still

Not much of a cat fan, but can you please pass me a plate of those vittles. Looks tasty.

Point for sure.
Chris

Your CSRs look Awesome, Panderson!!
I always do mine a lot longer, but I might have to rethink that, after seeing yours !! How Tender were they?
Like.
And Yup--Cats are Nutso!!
Our "Smokey" will be 10 next month, and he is a total Whack-Job much of the time.
He likes to do Wind-sprints from one end of the house to the other & back again, and it sounds like a herd of Elephants!!

Bear

Awesome job there now what's next in that new smoker?

Warren
Well I have some bacon curing in the minifridge at the moment, but it it won't be getting smoked until next week. I guess I better spend some time pondering this predicament tonight!

Your CSRs look Awesome, Panderson!!
I always do mine a lot longer, but I might have to rethink that, after seeing yours !! How Tender were they?
Like.
And Yup--Cats are Nutso!!
Our "Smokey" will be 10 next month, and he is a total Whack-Job much of the time.
He likes to do Wind-sprints from one end of the house to the other & back again, and it sounds like a herd of Elephants!!

Bear
Well my only other time trying the cut was something like 10 years ago when I bought it and grilled it and it was god-awful tough. I haven't taken it to the higher temp like some of the folks on here say they do, so I am going to do that the next time I buy it to get some perspective. I liken the tenderness to a juicy pork chop with more fat. It wasn't something you could cut with a fork, but it wasn't something you had to chew on for days. And the extra fat made for a nice flavor and mouthfeel.

Looks great butt I get mine closer to 200-205 ,closer to pulled pork ,they are also great grilled ,the wife cant take a lot of smoke so the pellet smoker is easier on her taste buds these days ,love my MBS still
mike 243, he wants ribs man not pulled pork. I do my ribs the same. Also Bearcarver taught me how :-)

Last edited:
That cat drives me crazy some times but I love him... I rescued him as a 4 week old when I saw the neighbor trying to beat it with a stick to get it out of his engine compartment when it was cold outside... He always follows me around in the windows when I am out back... waiting for me to come back in so he can climb up on my shoulders...

Those look great, and you have the temp right also. Don't do them like you would pulled pork unless you want falling off the bone ribs :-)

vt30tWM.jpg

Don't let those cute eyes fool you though... he is batsh*t crazy... hence his nickname Sir BatSh*t!... He runs circles around the house at 2 am making noises that remind me of a Dilophosaurus from Jurassic Park!

On another note... I have purchased an AMNPS... but I am still waiting on my pellets to arrive from Amazon... so I settled with using the chips I had on hand.

Funny this thread got brought back to life today... I made some CSR on Friday, but took them farther in the foil closer to what you would do with pulled pork... I think final temp was 185 and then threw them on the grill to finish the outside... I felt they were rather dry and the wife agreed. Maybe it is the specific cut where they come off of the shoulder that doesn't have all the same fat/connective tissue, but I liked how I did it before and will probably go at it again that way next time. So does anyone have any further information on bearcarver?

Funny this thread got brought back to life today... I made some CSR on Friday, but took them farther in the foil closer to what you would do with pulled pork... I think final temp was 185 and then threw them on the grill to finish the outside... I felt they were rather dry and the wife agreed. Maybe it is the specific cut where they come off of the shoulder that doesn't have all the same fat/connective tissue, but I liked how I did it before and will probably go at it again that way next time. So does anyone have any further information on bearcarver?

I haven't done any CSRs for awhile, but I can tell you there are basically 2 types of CSRs:
One has bones in & a lot of Fat, and is easy to make without drying out.
The other is boneless, and not much fat (more like a pork loin), and is hard to keep from drying out.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky