Smoked Nuts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

peculiarmike

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 29, 2006
Peculiar, MO
Anyone smoke nuts? (I know, they are hard to keep lit :oops:)
Almonds, pecans for example? What do you put on them? Method(s) used to smoke them?
Seems like good fodder for the Turbo.
Want to give them a try. Any info greatly appreciated!

I Love nuts! I'm actually doing more nuts this weekend. One weird thing about nuts is they taste awful hot! Let them cool down before eatting them.

Hot and Spicy Smoked Pecans

2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups pecan halves
1 tablespoon chili powder

Mix everything but the nuts and chilli powder in a bowl. When it's mixed well add nuts coating completely. Then add chilli powder. Put in tin foil pan and smoke for about 30 minutes. Stir them up every 10 minutes or so.

Glazed Spiced Smoked Nuts Recipe

1/3 cup sugar
1/4 unsalted butter
1/4 cup fresh orange juice (strained)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1 pound unsalted mixed nuts

Cook sugar, butter, orange juice, salt, cinnamon, cayenne and mace in heavy skillet over low heat until butter melts and sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium. Add nuts and toss until completely coated. Spread in single layer on a lightly pamed tin foil pan. Smoke 30 minutes stirring every 10 minutes. Then cook without smoke for another 30 minutes. Move nuts to sheet of tin foil to cool.

Hot And Spicy Smoked Cajun Nut Mix

1/4 cup Butter
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Red cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Black pepper
1 teaspoon Onion powder
1 teaspoon White pepper
8 ounces Walnuts
8 ounces Pecans
4 ounces almonds, Whole

In a 3 quart sauce pan, over low heat, melt butter stir in paprika, garlic, and onion powders. Stir in black pepper, white pepper, salt and red pepper. Blend well. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in walnuts, pecans, and almonds. Mix well to coat. Spread nuts in a tin foil pan and smoke for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir nuts occasionally. Cook without smoke until nuts are golden brown. Remove from heat and cool.

Smoked Hot and Spicy ChexÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Party Mix

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 tablespoon Lea & Perrinsâ„¢ Worcestershire sauce
1 1/4 teaspoons seasoned salt
2 to 3 teaspoons red pepper sauce
3 cups Corn ChexÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] cereal
3 cups Rice ChexÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] cereal
3 cups Wheat ChexÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] cereal
1 cup mixed nuts
1 cup pretzels
1 cup bite-size cheese crackers

1.Heat oven to 250°F.
2.In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt and pepper sauce. Gradually stir in remaining ingredients until evenly coated.
3.Bake uncovered 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes. Store in airtight container.

Microwave Directions: In large microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on High about 40 seconds or until melted. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt and pepper sauce. Gradually stir in remaining ingredients until evenly coated. Microwave uncovered on High 5 to 6 minutes, thoroughly stirring every 2 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes. Store in airtight container.

When done baking place in a tin foil pan and smoke for about 10 minutes!

Note: It might just be me but I don't like the taste of smoked cashews.

redface.gif

Alrighty! That's what I had in mind. I thought about cashews and sorta wrote them off as "different" if smoked, though I have never had any smoked.
Smoked chex mix looks interesting for sure.
Well, now I have to make a run to town and get supplies to work with.
THANKS Debi!

fI find it hard to keep them in cigarette paper.....keep rolling out
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
. Maybe I'll try a pipe!...For me, I use a blow torch to get em going (another groan.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
)

Really though, I've done pecans before. Soaked 'em in salt water, put 'em on a cookie sheet, and into the smoker for a couple of hours.

Lotta pecans grown around here, they sell them along the road out of the back of a pickup. I will try them.
Used to get those great smoky almonds during flights, especially to DFW, have not had any in a long while. Lucky to get a pretzel.

Forget what I said......I meant pumpkin seeds were soaked in the salt H2O, not the pecan. The pecans went straight into the smoker.
icon_redface.gif

I wish we grew pecan up here! I just paid $3.99 for a lbs of halves at the Job Lot today.

I also got some unsalted/undyed pistashio nuts if I get them all shelled I think I'll try doing something with them too. I'm thinking a salted cajun spice thing ...

icon_rolleyes.gif

I let the little lady smoke my nuts.......oh wait...sorry....wrong forum......

I've given alot of thought to trying some myself......seems simple and I've bought some down in seattle at pikes place that were rather tastey......pricey, but tastey........I bet the little lady would love the pumpkin seed's done that way........hummmmmmmmm

Debi -
Amazing, Jane stopped at Sam's Club on her way home after work yesterday and scored a big ol bag of pistachios. I think a good portion will pass through the ECB. Never thought of smoking them, thanks! Wonder about smoking them "in the shell"?

Smoked - what forum is that? LMAO

Guess that proves I'm not a kid and my kids not a kid what the heck is "shiznet" ? Some kind of pasta?

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

"I let the little lady smoke my nuts.......oh wait...sorry....wrong forum...... "

icon_smile.gif
ROFLMAOPIP!

Mike -

I don't think much smoke would get in the shells - there hard enough just to peel off!

I just tried these. Excellent! I added about a tablespoon of brown sugar to them for a sweet, spicy heat. There going in our permanent recipe book!! Thanks for the recipe!!

he he he...see what happens when you have teenagers around???? okay, urban dictionary definition:

shiznit adj. 1) the best; 2) the greatest, in a certain category or universally; 3) gaddam' phenomenal, bi-atch!
Master says, "I'm the shiznit! Hell'z yeah!"

now I need to go get my nuts smoked!!!

Well I figured it was nice comming from you but I never heard it before. Must be that new rap talk language!

BTW Thank you!

well shizzle my dizzle......

little lady say's I have to post this pic since we have been talking about smoked nuts....

btw. little lady and I went out up to our fav little pub....had dinner and a few to celebrate my induction to the OTBS.....and then we hit the store to buy a bunch ol nuts to smoke tomorrow.......guess I gotta fire the masterbuilt up!!!!!
32b9331b_vbattach11896.jpg

btw, got alot of my nuts on the smoker now....well......almonds with the spicy mix, but I already know whole almonds will not be done with a half hour smoke.....so we will keep an eye on her........

okay, here are the almonds all done......the directions say 30 minute smoke, but that ain't enuf at least not for whole almonds, this was a 3 hour session......they have a very light hickory taste, very good......
62c66680_vbattach11910.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky