Smoked Meatloaf and Mashed Potato Balls ( long with pictures )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Fantastic meal! The sliced tomato and cucumber take the plate shot way over the top.

Now you're talk'in, holy cow that all looks amazing.
I have to have corn, gravy and potatoes when I eat meatloaf unless it's on a sourdough roll.
Yum, I have to make one up soon.

Great plating... it all looks perfect.
Dan

Very nice looking meal! I will need to try my hand at the mashed potato balls.

-Stephen
Thanks Stephen for the comment, the mashed potato balls were fun to build and wondering if they would work the way I thought they would. And my wife said keep that way of making them.....that means a lot

David

I'd be all over this! Big like!
Thanks Disco for the like and the comment

I did not get to make your pickle pops my way , as i bought a big bottle of Gherkins pickles thinking they were just sweet the way i like them , BUT no they had to add dill to them, and i really do not like dill that much. So i will have to wait until i make my mustard pickle spears soon to do the pickle pops

David

Now you're talk'in, holy cow that all looks amazing.
I have to have corn, gravy and potatoes when I eat meatloaf unless it's on a sourdough roll.
Yum, I have to make one up soon.

Great plating... it all looks perfect.
Dan
Thanks forktender for the WOW and the comment on the meal, means a lot. it was fun smoking the meals as always. And yes some foods just seem to fit together when eating

David

Thanks Disco for the like and the comment

I did not get to make your pickle pops my way , as i bought a big bottle of Gherkins pickles thinking they were just sweet the way i like them , BUT no they had to add dill to them, and i really do not like dill that much. So i will have to wait until i make my mustard pickle spears soon to do the pickle pops

David
Looks like pretty fine eating on its own!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Smoked Meatloaf and Mashed Potato Balls:

Lots have done the meatloaf thing and they all looked good , so I wanted to try out one. But I also wanted to smoke some potatoes. Was also going to do some of disco disco 's pickles pops that i talked to him about . Was going to do my way but i bought gherkins and they were DILL so i will wait until i make my mustard pickles
Sorry back to the cook
2LB lean beef, chopped and cooked bacon, sautéed celery, onions, gr. peppers and seasoning salt
2 cups of fresh bread crumbs/pieces plus 1/4 cup milk and tablespoon br. sugar,
teaspoon Lawry's seasoning salt , 2 eggs
Mix all together really well, form ball , wrap and in fridge for hour while making potatoes
View attachment 497341View attachment 497342

When ever one of us cook bacon we get a helper( one of our Girls ) incase the floor needs cleaning, does not leave until the cooking is done , yes she gets a few samples
View attachment 497343

4 large potatoes , boiled and mashed. Let cool,
3/4 cup fine diced onion, 1/2 cup fine diced celery,
3/4 cup cooked bacon chopped small ( next time 1/2 cup chopped chives, had none and not running to store )
1 1/2 teaspoon Lawry's seasoning salt
Form into balls about size of med egg
In 3 separate bowls , 1- cup of flour, 1- 2 beaten eggs, 1- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs, 1/4 tea seasoning salt,1 table paprika mixed
Roll each ball into flour, than egg than final roll into crumb mixture, place on pan than in fridge for couple hours
View attachment 497345View attachment 497346View attachment 497347
The longer potato ones ( 5 ) have cheddar cheese in them , i had i/4 cup of Med cheddar so mixed it in to last of the mix
next time i will do the whole batch with the cheese, a lot better flavor

Meatloaf in smoker at 250 deg. with mesquite chunks ,took 4 hour 15 minutes
Last 30 minutes put glaze on loaf
Last hour and half before meatloaf was done put the potatoes in smoker
Sprayed the potatoes lightly with pam cooking oil
really made the crumbs crunchy

View attachment 497348View attachment 497349
View attachment 497350View attachment 497351View attachment 497352

Meatloaf juicy and tender, Mashed potato balls were fantastic , very nice crust, smooth and soft inside, ( needed little more onion and bacon, the 5 with the cheddar cheese were the best )
The potatoes could be cut with a knife and kept their shape or just eaten with you fingers
made a brown gravy but really did not need

View attachment 497353View attachment 497354

It was a great meal, nice comfort food on a day that started nice than turned into bad rain and wind storm that lasted well into the night

Thanks for looking , hope everyone had a great long weekend

David ( and Little Rosie )

The meal looks great. You were able to get the potatoes to crisp up at the 250 temp?

Dude that all looks great. I like the loaf but the mashed potato balls have got to be the star of the show! Going on the list to try out! Congrats on the spinner ride.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky