Smoked Manhattan / Old Fashion (bitters/syrup/liquor)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jceroli42

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
Afternoon all... Been to a few speakeasy bars and recently had some great cocktails with a "smoked" aspect. I'm wondering if anyone does this at home and if so how? Smoking Gun (Breville), Actually smoke the liquid, or use liquid smoke? Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

At a bar near me the bartender has a cherrywood plank. She hits it with a torch to get it smoking then inverts a glass to capture the smoke. I haven't seen her do it, I learned about it when I was talking with her at another local pub. I'm not sure if the glass is slightly wetted to help capture the smoke. Hmmm, keep forgetting to stop there, need to put it on my list ;)

Reactions: jceroli42
Few ways to do it: Just blow the smoke into the glass...

You can blow the smoke into the glass with the drink inside.

You can wet the glass with a measure of spirits intended to be mixed into the drink, thus they can capture it better.

You can also set up the smoke gun to blow the smoke into the drink, like submerge the exhaust tube into said drink.

Also I've seen things where instead of a smoke gun, they used smoked ice.

Cold smoke the liquid your using. Many a member has smoked water to make smoked ice for their favorite cocktail. Just put your favorite beverage in a container, place it in your smoker and give it a stir every once in a while. I haven't touched liquor since the mid-eighties so I can't give a personal opinion on taste, but most folks really like the smokey profile.

Chris

Just was at Hyde Park and my buddies got them. Seemed like a cedar plank to me but could be cherry. Pretty much a presentation "look at me I am rich" thing IMO. Don't think you'd get the same wow factor smoking liquid/cheating. There has to be a big production with the plank and all and everyone around you smelling it for maximum effect. Kinda like when you order fajitas... Many other way to rock them, if you want pointers, I am a manhattan guy...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky