smoked mac'n'cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have smoked mac and cheese once before,cooked the noodles,made the cheese sauce combine all then i put into a alum foil pan.put on the smoker for about 2-3 hours right around 225 i used cherry and oak wood.it was pretty darn good

thanks.just wasn't sure of times/temps. thinkin maybe apple/pecan. most likely one batch with some pepper jack, just to try something different

taste it afyer each hour as the first time i did it it was to smokey

I have a killer 7 cheese mac and cheese recipe that I am going to try smoking soon. I dont know why I have not done it yet

I have a killer 7 cheese mac and cheese recipe that I am going to try smoking soon. I dont know why I have not done it yet
Because just like me you have a bucket list thats longer than santas list.

I just smoked 30lbs of cheese for christmas gifts and I will have some extra.  should try some mac and cheese  mmmmmm!

I've done smoked mac & cheese a few.  I like to keep it simple.  Here's a really easy recipe I've posted here before.

Basic recipe:

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

1 stick butter

12 ounces yellow cheddar cheese

4 Ozs. mozzarella cheese

5 cups milk

salt and pepper to taste

Pre heat oven 350,

Layer macaroni, butter, and cheese in the order given in a 9-by-13 dish.  Pour milk over the top layer. Bake 1 hr. do not cover.

To prevent this dish from becoming too brown and crusty, cover with foil for the last 15 min. of baking.

For the smoker it took 1 hour 40 minutes at 250 . 

I will warn anyone wanting to try this it is a bit different from the normal creamy mac& cheese that everyone is used to.  The texture it a bit lumpy.  Although it can be smoothed out by substituting some velveeta for some of the cheddar. 

Here's the link to the origianl thread:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/96882/no-boil-macaroni-mac-cheese

Some really brilliant ideas for additions on this thread, not my ideas but brillian none the less :).

The best part of this recipe, the macaroni does not have to be pre-cooked before assembly.

well I read this post this morning and was so inspired by it that I made mac and cheese (with a little sausage) for lunch.  I have never made cheese sauce from sratch before so I pulled out my trusty "joy of cooking" reference book and gave it a try.  I used some smoked sharp chedder that I had made around thanksgiving and I added some parmesan cheese too.  it was GREAT!  I am going to have to try that again sometime on bigger scale. 

thanks for the inspiration!

dalton

Well are you going to share that recipe? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!
Here you go but you are going to hate me. Try this one not smoked first then if you can make the payments on the second batch try it in the smoker. We did this for a rehersal dinner we catered in our back yard and almost everyone begged us for the recipe.

7 Cheese Mac and Cheese

1 lb elbo macaroni
6 eggs
½ cup cubed Velveeta cheese ( cube this small so it will melt faster)
¼ lb (1 stick) butter, melted
3 cups half-and-half, divided
2 cups grated sharp yellow Cheddar, divided
1 cups grated extra-sharp white Cheddar
3/4 cup grated mozzarella
1/2 cup grated Asiago
1/2 cup gratedguyere

1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack
1/2 cup grated Muenster
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 Tbs black pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until slightly al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside to keep warm.

2. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until frothy.

3. Add the Velveeta, butter and 2 cups of the half-and-half to the large bowl of eggs

4. Add the warm macaroni tossing until the cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth.

5. Add the remaining half-and-half, 1 1/2 cups of the sharp yellow Cheddar, the remaining grated cheeses, and salt and pepper, tossing until completely combined in the large bowl.

6. Pour the mixture into 9 by 13-inch casserole or baking dishes (approximately 3 (3-quart) baking dishes) and bake for 30 minutes.

7. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of sharp yellow cheese and bake until golden brown on top, about 30 minutes more

Servings: 8

Oven Temperature: 325°F

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour

Reactions: aaron fuller
now THAT'S what i'm talkin' 'bout. awesome recipe. sure it's a little pricier than velveeta n' elbows, but there are some things you can't cheat with smoke. if you don't mind, me thinks a little plagarism is in order. thanks a bunch there scarbelly.

now THAT'S what i'm talkin' 'bout. awesome recipe. sure it's a little pricier than velveeta n' elbows, but there are some things you can't cheat with smoke. if you don't mind, me thinks a little plagarism is in order. thanks a bunch there scarbelly.
Plager all you want but share any changes you make with the rest of us. Trust me when I tell you this - it is a game changer adn I am not taking any credit for its creation. One of my 4H moms told me she has gained 14 # because of this recipe  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky