Smoked leg of lamb

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bhambrewer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Birmingham, Alabama
smoked lamb.jpeg

Quite pleased with how this came out. Smoked for about 3 hours with lumpwood charcoal and pecan as the smoke source. Seasoning was basic, just salt and pepper. Finished off to 196F internal in the oven.

Served with Kentucky black BBQ sauce. Yum, definitely doing again!

you should, Jim. It's very different, and kinda expensive, though if you have a Restaurant Depot nearby it usually goes for around $4.1x / lb, which is significantly cheaper than most places.

Reactions: JLeonard
I have never cooked lamb to that temp. I always make medium rare - which my wife wont eat...but I can throw hers on the grill as needed. Curious about cooking to 195. was it still tender and juicy?

I have never cooked lamb to that temp. I always make medium rare - which my wife wont eat...but I can throw hers on the grill as needed. Curious about cooking to 195. was it still tender and juicy?

very tender and mostly juicy - because of time pressure (kiddo's bed time) I cut before it had properly rested and the slices from the middle were definitely less juicy than the outside slices, but it certainly wasn't "dry".

Well all I have to say that lamb looks delicious, but we cook ours rare. I have never had it cooked well done like that. Who knows I may like it better. I guess I will have to give it a try!
Al

Reactions: bhambrewer
I like lamb more on the rare side of life also, usually pull it off at around 135º. RAY

Well all I have to say that lamb looks delicious, but we cook ours rare. I have never had it cooked well done like that. Who knows I may like it better. I guess I will have to give it a try!
Al

I have had lamb many ways, from medium rare to sausage to curry.

It's a very versatile meat, and I thank my wife for making me reassess lamb - too many childhood meals of cheap, chewy, greasy lamb chops put me off. Smoked lamb, or a lamb biryani, or lamb stew, have all made me change my mind :)

I've smoked a lot of lamb and it would never occur to me to bring it that temp.If I did the people I've served it to would shoot me!

View attachment 496072

Quite pleased with how this came out. Smoked for about 3 hours with lumpwood charcoal and pecan as the smoke source. Seasoning was basic, just salt and pepper. Finished off to 196F internal in the oven.

Served with Kentucky black BBQ sauce. Yum, definitely doing again!
Looks great , I hope you know about lymph node. If you remove lymph node from the leg you will not smell lamb at all .

I haven't had any smell, possibly because it's boneless? But I don't mind gamy or funky, it's greasy that makes me heave.
It’s great to hear . I’m from Central Asia ( Uzbekistan) and we always remove all lymph nodes
I need try to smoke leg of lamb
Most the time I use my tandoor make it tandoor gusht

It’s great to hear . I’m from Central Asia ( Uzbekistan) and we always remove all lymph nodes
I need try to smoke leg of lamb
Most the time I use my tandoor make it tandoor gusht

Ooh, I need to revisit how to make a home made tandoor. I think it's relatively easy to do so - just needs some ceramic plant pots.... then I can make a whole load of other dishes :)

Ooh, I need to revisit how to make a home made tandoor. I think it's relatively easy to do so - just needs some ceramic plant pots.... then I can make a whole load of other dishes :)
You can build from brick
This is what I have , made from ceramic

Attachments

• C55C4763-19DC-44BE-A734-86EB5CF0D4F0.jpeg
    C55C4763-19DC-44BE-A734-86EB5CF0D4F0.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 28
  • EFB3DEC5-A99A-4D4D-8A1A-0064F9842FBE.jpeg
    EFB3DEC5-A99A-4D4D-8A1A-0064F9842FBE.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 28
Been awhile since I had lamb but using pecan smoke sounds like the perfect match

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky