Smoked Leg Lamb / Shoulder?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TSR6

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
Should I prep and season the lamb leg the same way I would a pork shoulder?

It was a Costco grab.

I was thinking i'd mustard coat and season it with the same seasonings I use for pork shoulder, and follow the same smoke process/temps.

Thoughts or suggestions?

what internal temp did you go with the shoulder, i don't think i would take a lamb leg much more then 145-150, maybe some of the pro's will chime in though.

To clarify, I do also plan on shredding the lamb similar to pulled pork.

I am not sure if it will shred or not, it certainly does not have the fat a pork butt or beef chuck do. For spices I’d got with a Mediterranean set of spices or Chimchurri.

I am not sure if it will shred or not, it certainly does not have the fat a pork butt or beef chuck do. For spices I’d got with a Mediterranean set of spices or Chimchurri.

This is kind of where I got the idea.

Lamb needs to be med rare. You'll likely dry it out taking it to pulled temp. Everyone else has you covered on seasoning advice.

This is kind of where I got the idea.
I think there is a pretty big difference between the leg and shoulder. You have me intrigued now though. I want to do a pulled lamb shoulder now.

Lamb needs to be med rare. You'll likely dry it out taking it to pulled temp. Everyone else has you covered on seasoning advice.
Thoughts on the link I shared in my last post?

I think there is a pretty big difference between the leg and shoulder. You have me intrigued now though. I want to do a pulled lamb shoulder now.

Mine is all balled up into a pork butt shape. I havent pulled it from the package yet. I was concerned on that too, and my conversation with the guys at the meat counter was that it's all the same - upper leg or shoulder. Told him what my plans were, and he said no problem, so hopefully I'm not going to screw up an experiment. lol

Thoughts on the link I shared in my last post?
I missed the shoulder part of your post. I've only smoked legs and racks. I read the article you posted. I dont have much to add towards that. Give it a try. Maybe it will be awesome. Personally the pulled shot looked dry

Reactions: sawhorseray
I have bbq lamb to pull my whole life. It’s fantastic! The shoulder works best bone in. Cook to 200* IT. Nothing magic about that. I use salt pepper garlic rosemary thyme and lemon juice fresh squeeze. I bbq’d 4 lamb hind quarters as pull meat for last years family reunion. Everyone loved it, even some who are not lamb fans.

Reactions: jcam222
I have bbq lamb to pull my whole life. It’s fantastic! The shoulder works best bone in. Cook to 200* IT. Nothing magic about that. I use salt pepper garlic rosemary thyme and lemon juice fresh squeeze. I bbq’d 4 lamb hind quarters as pull meat for last years family reunion. Everyone loved it, even some who are not lamb fans.
Have you ever done it with a shank? Wondering if the shank is too lean.

Have you ever done it with a shank? Wondering if the shank is too lean.
Shanks are great cooked on the whole leg, but as a stand alone, they are best pressure cooked. They aren’t even much good as grind meat for the tendons and silver skin.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky