Smoked Jalapeno Breakfast Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ksnyder

Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
ffb967fa_2011-01-02_23-16-22_683.jpg

00a02c61_2011-01-02_23-19-40_963.jpg

9d79b615_2011-01-02_23-20-23_576.jpg

I was feeling a little ambitious this holiday season, and made a bunch of sausage (fresh kielbasa, smoked kielbasa, fresh italian, fresh breakfast, and smoke jalapeno breakfast) for the family.

This was a 5 lb batch using about 3/4 of a cup of jalapenos, 1 cup of dry milk, LEM cure, and Bass Pro breakfast sausage seasoning. Faux smoked it in the oven for about 3 hours (until 155) with a spritz of diluted liquid smoke about every 20 minutes or so.

It looks good but it came out a little bland. Wish I had used more than the recommended amount of seasoning and added some cayenne. Real smoke would have been good too but it was getting a little too late to mess with the charcoal.

Reactions: meateater
icon_cool.gif

Now thats a great idea, Japs in the sausage and then you just ruined the whole thing by Faux smoking and then you added liquid smoke. Ok you are new and we can dismiss you for the faux smoke. But you have to promise that you will smoke things for real from here on out OK??? 

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I know I should have really smoked them, I will next time. The snow on the ground scared me out of it. 5 pounds goes quick once people hear it's home made! I think I am going to put serranos in next time though, to give them a real kick.

I need a proper smoker for doing sausage though, I did a batch of kielbasa in my charcoal Weber by hanging it between the rack and the water pan. It turned out good though, a lot better than this stuff.

I want to convert a fridge for electric and use my a-mazen in it, but I am also tempted to save myself the hassle and get an MES 30 and mod it for sausage hanging. What do you guys think?

They look great but I have to agree on the use of liquid smoke that is a NO NO...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky