Smoked ice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
Instead of hijacking the whiskey thread, thought Id post my results of smoking water for ice to go with an adult beverage. Been wanting to try this for a while and finally had time yesterday.

I filled a small pyrex bowl of water and threw it in the smoker with some apple chips. Let it go for about 1.5hrs.

Since the water was hot I wasnt able to try my experiment till this eve. First few sips was actually really good, once the ice melted a bit more, the smoke flavor got to be a bit to strong. Second glass, I mixed the smoked ice already in the glass with a normal cube of ice, that mellowed it a bit.

Think next time, I will try a shorter smoke time, maybe 45 mins.

All in all if you want to add a touch of smokeness to your scotch or bourbon, give it a try

I did the same and had the same results...smoked too long, stirred every 10 minutes. Then bought silicone 2" round ice molds.

Interesting. I always wondered about the water in my water pan I put in the cook chamber if it could be useful for anything. Got me thinking if the water would be good for other stuff not just ice. Like maybe use some when making macaroni noodles for mac and cheese

Instead of hijacking the whiskey thread, thought Id post my results of smoking water for ice to go with an adult beverage. Been wanting to try this for a while and finally had time yesterday.

I filled a small pyrex bowl of water and threw it in the smoker with some apple chips. Let it go for about 1.5hrs.

Since the water was hot I wasnt able to try my experiment till this eve. First few sips was actually really good, once the ice melted a bit more, the smoke flavor got to be a bit to strong. Second glass, I mixed the smoked ice already in the glass with a normal cube of ice, that mellowed it a bit.

Think next time, I will try a shorter smoke time, maybe 45 mins.

All in all if you want to add a touch of smokeness to your scotch or bourbon, give it a try
Why didn’t I think of this? What a great idea!
And how you doing Kevin? Haven’t heard from you in awhile.

Meat yes, ice no! RAY
DSCN3764.JPG

Very cool idea! I’m going to give it a go for next diner party. I have a friend that uses a smoke gun on his whiskey after he puts it in a glass. Has a nice flavor, I think this would be better!

Very cool idea! I’m going to give it a go for next diner party. I have a friend that uses a smoke gun on his whiskey after he puts it in a glass. Has a nice flavor, I think this would be better!
stir the water every once in a while and I would experiment on times, use a glass baking dish and pull some out every 15 minute and freeze for a test. it is very easy to over smoke the water. Also the molds hold the smoke smell so you might want to use designated molds for these. I bought individual molds on amazon in 2" round golf ball shaped.

Reactions: bauchjw
Hour and a half was way too long, starts out nice but then got really strong as the ice melted. I did try 2 reg ice cubes and a single smoked cube last nite, that def helped mellow the flavor a bit. I stored the ice cubes in a ziplock bag and you def get the smell when you open the bag to get ice out. Luckily it hasnt smelled up the freezer, yet

I did the same the first time I did it. Don’t remember what wood I used but it was way too long. Made the Jameson I tried it with test like crap. Haven’t tried it since might need to give it another shot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky