Smoked Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jlstout

Original poster
May 25, 2010
Smoked my first ham yesterday.  I think I overcooked as it came out dry.  I smoked to an internal of 160.  Was I only supposed to go to 140?  I think this is where I went wrong.  Tasted great, just dry.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks everyone!

You may have gone too long, yes. I take it you bought a ham that was already cured so all you had to do was smoke it? I do at least three a year during the holidays and I only had one come out on the dry side. 160 is a good temp. You need to make sure you aren't in a fat pocket or near the bone with your thermometer. I like to lay it on it's side so the exposed bone end is not on the grate. I also score the fat on it to help it render down and baste the ham. I usually end up with quite a bit of juice in the pan that put under them. Try moving the probe around when you think you should be close to temp. Don't bother stabbing it too early, there's nothing to see but temperature rise anyhow.

icon_cool.gif

Now I have done quite a few fresh hams in my days here. I would take you next ham to maybe 145° is a good temp. Then you should be ok with it then but don't forget the Q-view and to stick it into a dry cooler for atleast and hour. Did you take your ham out of the smoker and start whacking on it??? If you did that will make it dry out to. That's why we say to let and meat rest "all meats" except maybe hot dogs........

No, I let it rest for about 2 hours in the cooler.  I will try 145 next time.
smile.gif

Hi there,

Just joined and have a brand new smoker waiting for it's virgin run. I have severe food allergies so must get all bacon and hams uncured. I saw a post about smoking a store-bought ham, but since I need to start from scratch, what do you suggest? We have a half a pig coming from a grass-fed, organic farm/ranch. Want to make sure we treat this baby right! One thing about preparing all of your food from scratch - it sure burns up more calories! It's been fun for hubby and me to work together. We are avid gardeners/canners/ etc but doing the meat thing is a whole new ball of wax and we need all of the help we can get!

No, I let it rest for about 2 hours in the cooler.  I will try 145 next time.
smile.gif

Hi JLS,

145˚ would be better, as long as the Ham was previously cooked. If it wasn't fully cooked, you have to take it to 160˚. You haven't answered that yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky