Smoked grits?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Did a reverse sear on a couple strips last night. And I thought to myself. How would a couple cups of grits do smoked? So, I put some in the smoker for 30 minutes, dried, unprepared yet. And stirred them a few times. And as luck would have it, sarcasm here. Insomnia struck. And I got up at 1:30.
And went ahead and cooked up the grits.

P1020032.JPG

Added bacon and cheddar cheese with a chunk of unsalted butter. I have to say. This was amazingly good! I used hickory on these. Next time I'll try apple.

It looks really good! But I can honestly say I've never had grits. Not that I wouldn't like to try them.

Ryan

Morning Steve
Every time we make it to Florida we/I try the grits just because I want to. And every time I say why did I.

But now this has some flavor. I think I would really enjoy it done this way.
Thanks for the new way of looking at some Grits

Savid

Grits are fantastic if they’re made correctly. Properly seasoned creamy grits are great but unfortunately most places, especially breakfast restaurants, serve them bland. I like to add cheese or stewed tomatoes or both. Lots of pepper. Never tried smoked grits but I will now.

This is a really cool and creative idea. I think people who don’t like grits never had them served the right way. This looks amazing, smoke had to add to it. Big points for sure!

Reactions: 912smoker
Looks good Steve. I love grits. We have a wonderful Cajun restaurant that serves the best shrimp and grits. Order you some Geechie Boy Grits from South Carolina if you want to go to flavor town!

Morning Steve
Every time we make it to Florida we/I try the grits just because I want to. And every time I say why did I.

But now this has some flavor. I think I would really enjoy it done this way.
Thanks for the new way of looking at some Grits

Savid
Thanks! I've had lousy grits before. No taste. Or overpowered with seasoning. I'm still trying to figure out why I thought about this.

Grits are fantastic if they’re made correctly. Properly seasoned creamy grits are great but unfortunately most places, especially breakfast restaurants, serve them bland. I like to add cheese or stewed tomatoes or both. Lots of pepper. Never tried smoked grits but I will now.
Thanks! Me neither. I still don't know why I thought about it. And probably others have done this. It was probably a tequila fueled idea that worked!

This is a really cool and creative idea. I think people who don’t like grits never had them served the right way. This looks amazing, smoke had to add to it. Big points for sure!
Thank you! I've had grits like this many times. But, this was a first with smoking them.

Looks good Steve. I love grits. We have a wonderful Cajun restaurant that serves the best shrimp and grits. Order you some Geechie Boy Grits from South Carolina if you want to go to flavor town!
Thanks Jake! I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm down there.

WaHo what a great idea a find way to start the new year.

Warren
Thanks Warren!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Did a reverse sear on a couple strips last night. And I thought to myself. How would a couple cups of grits do smoked? So, I put some in the smoker for 30 minutes, dried, unprepared yet. And stirred them a few times. And as luck would have it, sarcasm here. Insomnia struck. And I got up at 1:30.
And went ahead and cooked up the grits.

View attachment 520803
Added bacon and cheddar cheese with a chunk of unsalted butter. I have to say. This was amazingly good! I used hickory on these. Next time I'll try apple.
Steve you have some of the most creative ideas sometimes. Thank for that lol. Put this on my list for next weekend.

Now you have wondering how instant potatoes would be if done the same way. Can you taste the smoke in the grits?

I love grits and prefer the with just butter, salt and heavy pepper. Yeah Jake , shrimp and grits take it to another level!
I have never thought of adding smoke. Thanks for the idea and it'll be done at my house soon !

Keith

I always liked plain buttered grits with breakfast. I feel like they are very close to cream of wheat too. I’ll bet smoked is tasty.

We had cheesy grits with breakfast this morning, and I usually add smoked cheese. I may have to try this myself next time. Sounds delicious!
Thank you. It was!

Steve you have some of the most creative ideas sometimes. Thank for that lol. Put this on my list for next weekend.
Thank you!

Now you have wondering how instant potatoes would be if done the same way. Can you taste the smoke in the grits?
Instant taters huh? You might be onto something. The smoke in the grits was subtle. But really added to the flavor. I think the 30 minutes I smoked them is a good starting point. I was concerned that they might draw in too much smoke by going farther.

I love grits and prefer the with just butter, salt and heavy pepper. Yeah Jake , shrimp and grits take it to another level!
I have never thought of adding smoke. Thanks for the idea and it'll be done at my house soon !

Keith
Thanks Keith! I was going to add some shrimp. But got lazy and forgot to thaw some out.

Looks great! I like mine with cream cheese and a can of diced jalapenos.
Thank you! I only had them with cream cheese once when we were Arkansas a few years ago. They were good. But I prefer white or yellow cheddar.

I always liked plain buttered grits with breakfast. I feel like they are very close to cream of wheat too. I’ll bet smoked is tasty.
Thanks Jeff. They do have a resemblance to cream of wheat now that it is mentioned as far as texture goes.
All this talk about grits has me thinking about another bowl for this morning. With shrimp this time!

That's interesting, Steve. We absolutely love grits and only eat stone ground, but have never even considered smoking them. BTW, I didn't know that New Yorkians ate grits...🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
That's interesting, Steve. We absolutely love grits and only eat stone ground, but have never even considered smoking them. BTW, I didn't know that New Yorkians ate grits...🤣

Lol! I picked up that habit while living in Arkansas!

Hmmmm....now you got me thinkin Steve. Very intriguing idea about smoking grits....bet that turned out good. I'm thinking of cold smoking grits patties after the grits have set up and use that with shrimp and grits.....

That seems like a great idea Steve, I’ll have to try it. I love adding smoked cheese to mine.

I bet frying up the leftover grits would be delicious too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky