Smoked Dried Beef with lots of Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thanks Bear, I just thought pemmican made from smoked dried beef and dried blueberries or raspberries would be a great hiking, camping, hunting etc food.  Got 4 rounds in the frig, 9 days is up tomorrow, but gonna have to leave them cure a few more days till we get back in the 50's.
That Pemmican could be OK, but the stuff I had was no where near as good as my Dried Beef. Might depend on who & how it's made.

A few more days in cure won't hurt the Dried Beef, but the ambient temp won't hurt either. This could be smoked during any ambient temp.

Bear

Looks delicious. I like eye of round for jerky. Lean and with a good grain, so it doesn't fall all apart in my backpack. Haven't yet made it in my (new) smoker.

Along w/ smoker I bought a bunch of wood chips. A bit of a mistake. You know any way to convert those chips to "dust" or functionally the same as pellets, for the AmznSmkr?

TQ = Twisted Q? If so, what version?

Barry

Code:
[CODE]
[/CODE]
Looks delicious. I like eye of round for jerky. Lean and with a good grain, so it doesn't fall all apart in my backpack. Haven't yet made it in my (new) smoker.
Along w/ smoker I bought a bunch of wood chips. A bit of a mistake. You know any way to convert those chips to "dust" or functionally the same as pellets, for the AmznSmkr?
   Barry

TQ=Tender Quick curing salt. Used for curing meat like Bacon etc. I don't know of a way to make your chips to dust, but either way I've had issues keeping my A mazen maze lit here in Colorado. I picked up one of their tubes and had no issues. Apparently the maze doesn't like our thin air...

Barry
Yup---Like dnvrdv said, TQ is a special mix of cure, Salt, Sugar, etc made by Morton Salt, and used for home meat curing.

If you're at High Altitude where you live, you would do better with an AMNTS (Tube Smoker from Amazing Smokers).

What Altitude are you at & where did you get your AMNPS ??

Bear

Thanks for the TQ intel. I'm at 6100ft elevation, where the high plains meet the foothills, and don't yet have any accessory/AMN smoking hardware for my 30" MES.

Thanks for the TQ intel. I'm at 6100ft elevation, where the high plains meet the foothills, and don't yet have any accessory/AMN smoking hardware for my 30" MES.
OK---Then at that High altitude, don't get an AMNPS (Maze Tray).

Get an AMNTS (Tube Smoker)

That will work great for you.  I would recommend the expandable one.

Bear

I'm a little over a mile high here in Albuquerque, near the foothills, and found that I need to pack the Amazin tray tight. Then it keeps lit and does a great job. If I loose pack it, it will go out constantly. The smoke I did 2 weeks ago was for 12 hours, and each tray load lasted about 6 hours. First one was hickory, last one cherry.  Cherry is usually tougher to keep lit, but like I said, packing them tight makes a huge difference. And a full 12 hours smoke made for a great crust!  

Last edited:

I'm a little over a mile high here in Albuquerque, near the foothills, and found that I need to pack the Amazin tray tight. Then it keeps lit and does a great job. If I loose pack it, it will go out constantly. The smoke I did 2 weeks ago was for 12 hours, and each tray load lasted about 6 hours. First one was hickory, last one cherry.  Cherry is usually tougher to keep lit, but like I said, packing them tight makes a huge difference. And a full 12 hours smoke made for a great crust!  
I'll have to remember that Phil !!!

I always tell guys at high altitudes to get the Tube, but now I'll add "Try packing the tray tight", if they already have the AMNPS Tray, before they give up on it.

Bear

Just grabbed 5 pounds of Eye of Round (actually bought 15 pounds but the other 10 is going to jerky) during our local big meat sale to give this a shot. Couldn't pass it up at $2.99 a pound. 

Just grabbed 5 pounds of Eye of Round (actually bought 15 pounds but the other 10 is going to jerky) during our local big meat sale to give this a shot. Couldn't pass it up at $2.99 a pound. 
That's Great !!

That $2.99 was a normal sale price about 5 years ago.---Nice Score!!

Bear

OK guys & gals, I've been waiting to try this for a long time, and I can finally do it the way I wanted to, now that I have the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER.
Now I can put on all the steady smoke I want to, regardless of whether I have heat going or not.

Dried Beef and American Cheese with Miracle Whip on white bread has always been my favorite "lunch-box" sammie. That's what I carried on construction jobs, Beth Steel jobs, and cabinetmaking jobs.
Just about every deer I ever shot had at least one hind quarter turned into "Dried Venison" by one of our local butcher shops in SE Pennsylvania.

Now I can finally make my own:

Preparation:
I trimmed all fat off of each Eye Round.
Mixed 3 ounces (6 TBS) of TQ with 12 ounces of water, and injected 2 ounces of this solution into the middle of each 3LB Eye Round.
Rubbed 1 1/2 ounces (3 TBS) of TQ and 1 tablespoon of Brown Sugar on each 3 LB Eye Round.
Put each Eye Round in it's own individual Zip-Lock bag & put in fridge at 37˚/38˚ for about 10 days.
Remove from fridge, rinse & soak in ice water for 1 hour, draining once at the half hour mark.
Dry each piece the best you can with paper towels.
Put on smoker rack & put in fridge unwrapped overnight to start drying.

NOTE: In the future I will cut my eye rounds, or whatever meat I use into thinner pieces (3" thick, or less).

This would eliminate having to mix TQ with water & injecting it into the meat.

All the curing would be done from the outside of the meat.

Next Day:
Preheat Smoker to 100˚.
Put meat in smoker for 1 hour at 100˚----No smoke.
Light both ends of the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER filled with Hickory dust, and put in smoker.
After second hour is up, bump to 130˚.
After hour 5, A-MAZE-N-SMOKER stopped smoking (4 hours), so I pulled it out, reloaded it with Cherry dust, re-lit it, and stuck it back in.
Then I bumped the heat to 150˚.
After hour 6, bump it up to 160˚.
After 8 1/2 hours, the smoke stopped (3 1/2 hours), so I removed the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER, and bumped it up to 170˚.
At the end of 10 hours, bump up to 180˚.
Stay at 180˚ until the internal temp hits at least 158˚ on each piece.
Total was 13 hours.
This stuff is unbelievable !

Enjoy the Qview:

Four Eye Rounds @ $3.20 per pound:
125584n.jpg

There's the little guy that made this easy (A-MAZE-N-SMOKER) burning from both ends:
5z1hqd.jpg

Look at the nice smoke coming out of my MES vent:
1607s6a.jpg

One Eye Round done in MES:
nezrzb.jpg

First Eye Round ready for slicing:
1zvtz01.jpg

First Eye Round sliced:
351sfpu.jpg

First Eye Round ready for freezer:
i5q1kh.jpg

The other 3 Eye Rounds smoked:
2960txh.jpg

The other 3 Eye Rounds sliced:
egwdq8.jpg

The other 3 Eye Rounds ready for freezer:
1zznn0p.jpg

Thanks for lookin',
Bearcarver

All the pics are gone.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky