Smoked Dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
When prepping for a 4th BBQ we were invited to, I made smoked baked beans, CSR burnt ends, jerky, and trail mix. No leftovers came home with us. I received a lot of compliments on the burnt ends. People were surprised by the cubed, smoked ham in the beans. It was a last minute addition and tasted great. I always slice up some extra thick before freezing. It works great for scrambled eggs and now beans. The jerky and trail mix is the best I have yet made. I left a couple of packages for the host to enjoy.

While smoking, I have gotten into tossing a few dogs and sausages from the butcher shop into the smoker to fill up the racks. I take them out prior to hitting 160, vacuum pack, and freeze. Later, for a ball game or in this case, out on the boat, I’ll thaw out a package and finish them on the grill. Gourmet all the way. We had just enough cell service to catch a Giants game while enjoying our smoked dogs and cold beers! For the two nights previous, we had marinated beef kabobs with red potatoes and peppers.

7D30F491-6B9C-4DDF-BF24-478450FC954E.jpeg

The jerky was a great treat while under sail. And boy, did we sail! The trail mix was enjoyed while star gazing with some very smooth rum. It’s a darn nice pairing. After being vacuum packed for a few days, the jerky and smoked cheese flavors start to meld and it just keeps getting better. For the first time, I mixed in some non-smoked extra sharp cheddar. It added a good tang to the mix and is now a permanent part of the recipe.

2555D6E9-F1D4-45AA-9C5E-8DC349605346.jpeg

This is our boat that I restored from near derelict condition. We keep her in the south Puget Sound in Washington state. We also have an inflatable dingy with an outboard that we use to visit islands while anchored. Of course, she has a BBQ!

Looks very peaceful. My father in law was big into sailing he kept his boat in Astoria on the Columbia river. He sailed the pacific quiet often before his 3rd wife died. My wife’s fondest childhood memories are at there boat house on the Columbia River. He let his boat and boat house to his only son. It sank a few years ago and father in law has passed. He developed dementia and it took him down. We still have his sextant but everything else is at the bottom of the Columbia river.

Nice boat! I have tried and will keep trying to talk my wife into a sailboat. My dad taught me to sail very young and we had a boat till I was in HS-then the divorce, i went to college and there went the boat. I do miss it.

Enjoy that beauty in Puget Sound!

Beautiful setup! When we lived in CA I had a 22' Proline with cuddy and steel skip tower, fished Monterey to Ft Bragg. There was nothing better than setting up the Smoky Joe for surf and turf then spending the night in the cuddy, tho there were a few nights I wanted to kill the sea lions at the wharf. RAY

Reactions: OldSmoke
Looks very peaceful. My father in law was big into sailing he kept his boat in Astoria on the Columbia river. He sailed the pacific quiet often before his 3rd wife died. My wife’s fondest childhood memories are at there boat house on the Columbia River. He let his boat and boat house to his only son. It sank a few years ago and father in law has passed. He developed dementia and it took him down. We still have his sextant but everything else is at the bottom of the Columbia river.
Sad, but some great memories. That usually goes hand in hand.

Reactions: smokin peachey
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky