Smoked Country Sausage w/ Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noshrimp

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I bought a new Tasin electric grinder and LEM stuffer so I thought I would break them in with a batch of Smoked Country Sausage using a recipe from Bruce Aidell's "Complete Sausage Book".

The basic recipe, which I doubled is at bottom of my post.

I ground the seasoned pork and made a test patty to see if an seasoning adjustment was needed.

All stuffed and ready to smoke.

I had a few oak dowel rods cut to the same length as the racks in my GOSM to use as smoke sticks. I put the sausage in the smoker for about 1 hour to get it dry, then added hickory wood for a nice 2 hour smoke.

I was aiming for a 180 to 195 degree smoker temp.

Here is the source of my recipe.

My Maverick is indicating it's done!

It's ready to pull from smoker and plunge in ice bath to stop cooking, very important.

Nice color and it smells awesome.

Sauteed kale, green beans, and smoked sausage with a bit of mustard for dinner!

2.5 lb. Pork butt

.75 lb. back fat

1 T. brown sugar

1 T. Kosher salt

1 T. sweet paprika

2 tsp red pepper flakes

1 tsp ground sage

1 tsp dried thyme

pinch ground allspice

.75 tsp cure #1

.5 C water 

Looks-Great.gif
Thanks for sharing.

Happy smoken.

David

Nice looking sausage!

Let us know if the recipe needs to be adjusted when the sausage is frozen and thawed?

Good luck and good smoking.

I'll test freezing and thawing with next batch, Venture. I only made 5 lbs so it went fast. One thing I will adjust is lowering the fat content. Just a bit more than necessary I felt.

Sausage looks great and so does the patio..........................

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky