Smoked corned beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

saints2284

Original poster
Mar 19, 2017
Allentown PA
Looking to do a smoked corned beef. Would like some suggestions on rub and wood option. Was going to desalinate in water a bit. Want a good crust and a great sandwich meat. Help is wanted.

The last time I smoked one I kept it simple.  I peppered the outside and smoked it with pecan wood.  I didn't have any complaints.

Since you are using a store bought corned beef, whatever rub you use omit salt or go lightly on the salt. You can grind up the pickling spice that comes with the corned beef and use as a rub too.

Cherry is a nice flavor on beef.

When preparing pastrami using a homemade, or commercially made, corned beef, I keep the spice blend for the rub pretty traditional,
  • 3 tbs coriander seeds, lightly cracked
  • 2 tbs black peppercorns, lightly cracked
  • 1 tbs  white peppercorns, lightly cracked (use 3 tbs of black peppercorns if you don’t have white peppercorns)
  • 2 tbs brown or yellow mustard seeds, or a 50/50 blend, lightly cracked
  • 2 tbs minced or granulated garlic

Thanks everyone. Cant wait to try a few of these suggestions. I use a lot of cherry and have that in bulk do I will probably just run with that for wood

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky