Smoked Clams?

Discussion in 'Non-fish Seafood' started by smoking falcon, Feb 1, 2006.

1. smoking falcon

smoking falcon Fire Starter

So just today I was wondering ( I don't know why, I'm not necessisarily a fanatic about clams) if anyone has done a clambake in the smoker? I guess I was thinking of additional ways to use a big smoker for a fundraiser and this came to mind. I don't even know the first thing about clambakes except that I don't think they are even really baked anymore. I hear that they're boiled...

Anyway, Maybe this will spark some conversation on this "non fish seafood" thread.

Dennis

2. brianj517

brianj517 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Dennis,

Check out the thread I started on Freshwater mussels. It might give you some ideas...

I've not tried clams cooked only in the smoker...but I do like to grill them with a touch of wood smoke in a foil packet. Then I eat 'em dipped in a little seasoned garlic butter.

Cheers,
    Brian

3. dlmad

dlmad Newbie

In the past I have smoked razor clams from the wash.coast .We dig them out of the sand . any way it was very easy to get them to salty, even with a lot of rinsing . so use a brine for only about 1 hour or so .Then rinse well and smoke at low heat . Watch them close they dry out easily. And thats all I know about it . Have fun....

4. cmacv

cmacv Smoke Blower

yummm clams!!! i buy littlenecks being a relocated new yorker to jacksonville florida i buy farm raised littlenecks 20$ for 100 clams at a local fishery i soak them in water for a while to remove sand than steam them, dip in melted real butter yummm