Smoked Chuck Roast / Temp Drop or Stall?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rick123

Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
Charlotte, NC
So I am used to brisket and pork both having the normal stall. I am still working on my Arduino controller and decided to just monitor some temps with it during my first smoke of a chuck roast. I was surprised to see it hit about 165 then within 10 minutes drop to 145. Is this just the way it decided to enter the stall? I assumed that and pulled it to wrap at that time.

Picture1.png

Reactions: JLeonard
In my experience, that’s on the high end but right around the stall temp. (160-ish) however the temp always just stalls meaning no more climb. Never had IT temps drop and certainly not 20*

Reactions: forktender
Yeah, something ain't right there a stall is a stall it shouldn't drop temp unless your fire went out or the door was opened. That doesn't make sense at all.

Well it ended up climbing slowly back up from that point after I pulled and wrapped. Not sure myself. Ended up turning out ok :)

Oh, and this was on an electric smoker. Smoker temp stayed constant around 235 that entire time.

I had a PB drop about 5' during a stall one time, thought my smoker or temp sensor was broken. It went slowly down over about 20 min. Hovered there then started back up in about an hour. Never figured out what happened. I do the same with all my PB smokes, that was strange.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky