1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Featured Smoked chicken thighs, drums, and 3x baked potatoes

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by IH 1026, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Decided to smoke some chicken today on my Weber kettle.. picked up a few packs of drumsticks and thighs for $.80 a pound. Both were pretty large in size.

Started off slathering a little mustard on everything to make the rub stick to it, and threw everything in the fridge overnight.
    [​IMG]

Can't forget a few of these to help the cook...
    [​IMG]

Started off wrapping some potatoes in foil, with a little butter, in the oven to bake at around 350 for about an hour and a half. In the meantime I got some charcoal going in the chimney for my Weber 22" K
    ettle. When the coals were ready, I preheated the Kettle to get ready for the chicken, then put it on with some apple wood, and cherry wood.

Potatoes are done.. .scrape the meat out.
    [​IMG]

Add some melted butter, sour cream, chives, and finely graded Sargento Sharp Yellow Cheese and 5 strips of thick cut bacon.
    [​IMG]

Another one or 2 of these for the cook.
    [​IMG]

Potatoes after the second bake... letting them cool, then adding coarse Sargento Sharp Yellow Cheese.
    [​IMG]

Almost done. Glazed with bbq sauces for the last hour, about every 20 minutes. One sauce was mustard based, which was a little salty, and the other was a sauce I got for Fathers Day and decided to use it up.
    [​IMG]

Final results... skin was crispy, and very little fat in the thighs after being on the smoker for over 3 hours. I DO NOT know what the internal temperature was while cooking as I didn't get a 27/32 drill bit to install a port for the temp probe wires. Chicken was not dry at all, and had some great smoke flavor from the apple and cherry wood.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    motocrash, Derek717, danmcg and 11 others like this.
  2. pc farmer

pc farmer Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks great IH

3. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Nice looking plate of chicken IH. Can't beat a Kettle.

Point for sure
    Chris

4. WaterRat

WaterRat Smoking Fanatic

Looks great! Nice color on the chicken and you can't beat twice baked taters ;)

5. civilsmoker

civilsmoker Smoking Fanatic

Nice l just put the same parts on the grill myself, Nice Job!

6. That looks like some great chicken. I'm smoking a Meatloaf today.

7. Looks good to me.

8. mike243

mike243 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks great dont drill hole, put the probe thru the top vent jmo

9. pineywoods

pineywoods SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member OTBS Admin SMF Premier Member

Looks like an awesome meal :emoji_thumbsup:

10. Misplaced Nebraskan

Misplaced Nebraskan Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Fantastic cook!

[​IMG]

Haven't done me some chicken like that in too long. may have to remedy that.

Well done again! Like!

11. Thank you everyone for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Been busy making the last of my first cutting of grass hay since early this morning, so I have not had much time to reply. I'm a one man band until my help shows up to throw bales... and today it was close to 800 small bales.

The hole in the side of my Weber Kettle is to install a port for the probe wires for my thermometer... putting the probe wires down through the vent in the lid is not a great option as the lid comes off about every 20-30 minutes while glazing everything with BBQ sauce. Good thought, but not very practical.

The mustard based sauce came out VERY salty, so more then likely I won't be using that again. Sweet Baby Rays Sweet and Spicy was just the thing for my chicken as I like some heat, and regular Sweet Baby Rays for everybody else.

pc farmer likes this.
  12. 2008RN

2008RN Smoke Blower

looks like it was a great meal

13. WaterinHoleBrew

WaterinHoleBrew Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Top notch, that all looks real tasty... Nice cook!

14. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sorry for late reply IH but for sure it is a great looking meal.

Warren

15. ab canuck

ab canuck Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks pretty darn good IH, Like on that. Been raining here 33 days out of the last 45 here at work. been a real pain to try to enjoy this summer.
    Congrats on the carousel ride.

16. GATOR240

GATOR240 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Nice plate! The potatoes look killer

17. Love posts with beer pics.

IH 1026 likes this.
  18. Again... thanks for all the kind words from everyone. I appreciate it. If I can do this, anyone can. Don't let your fear of failure stop you from smoking something.

19. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit OTBS Member

A loaded Weber is a happy Weber:emoji_chicken::emoji_thumbsup: