Smoked Chicken Stew with Dough Boys ( Dumplings )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
DRKsmoking,

That looks great! My wife's grandma made home made Chicken and dumplings and I loved them. Seeing this I guess I am going to try.

Worth the like!!!

Thanks ravenclan for the like and the comment

It was great always nice to have a big hot bowl of stew, and yes give it a whirl 🌪 🌪

David

Absolutely stunning David. I love chicken and dumplings but with Tracy being allergic to chicken I now make turkey and dumplings. Favorite way is with smoked breasts (Tracy prefers white meat) and being a die hard gravy junkie, I've always thickened the broth to where it was a gravy. Couldn't imagine eating it any other way. Congrats on the carousel ride too buddy!! Much deserved.

Robert

Thanks Robert for the comment

It was a great meal, i make stew often in the cool weather but like I mentioned this is the first time with the dough boys. Mom used to make
these for use when we were kids some 50 years ago. first time to make and the first time to have sense than.

It would be good with turkey also but I would have to add more Summer Savory to the broth and dough boys to bring it to our stuffing flavor

David

Awesome and I see I'm late to reply so I know there is no left overs. DANG my luck.
I grew up on that rib sticking meal. Grandmother some times would make it just using gizzard's and hearts which was my favorite.

Warren

Hay Warren thanks for the love and the comment

Yes I just finished off the last of it tonight as I got home late and that was on my mind all day
at work. Your grand mothers stew sounds good also

David

It looks great! And the write up is so easy to follow. And I'm with you . I like it almost like a stew also. Now the cool days are here there are many soups to make and enjoy.

Thanks checkdude for the like and the comment

It was great , and glad it is easy to follow. Sorry i did not give much in measurements , but its stew . Just keep adding and tasting. lol

David

Thanks
DougE DougE
For the like

David
I can't do the dumplings since I can no longer tolerate gluten, and have had no luck making dumplings with any of the gluten free flours I have tried. I can, however adapt the rest of the recipe into a wicked gluten free chicken stew. Maybe even use it as filling for a pot pie ... GF pie crust I can do well. :emoji_smile:

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I can't do the dumplings since I can no longer tolerate gluten, and have had no luck making dumplings with any of the gluten free flours I have tried. I can, however adapt the rest of the recipe into a wicked gluten free chicken stew. Maybe even use it as filling for a pot pie ... GF pie crust I can do well. :emoji_smile:
Have you tried potato dumplings with the non gluten binders?

Have you tried potato dumplings with the non gluten binders?
I haven't. I've only tried substituting various gluten free flours in place of wheat flour with less than stellar results. The dumplings mostly dissolve rather than forming a cohesive mass as you'd expect with wheat flour.

Look like you started something here. Between this and Tuscan Jake made from Steve's recipe not sure which to do first. Made that Tuscan few times now so I guess this one. That time of year.

Yes the stew is great , even without the dough boys
It would be good in a pot pie also. Use your GF's crust . I also use a crust that is great for
this kind of fillings.
It is a " Hot water pastry " only takes about 7 minutes to make. I got the recipe for a site I subscribe to of a guy that cooks lots of cool foods "Keef Cooks "
here is the crust in action I did, from the last throwdown
1635412923036.png

David

Reactions: DougE
Look like you started something here. Between this and Tuscan Jake made from Steve's recipe not sure which to do first. Made that Tuscan few times now so I guess this one. That time of year.

Yes Brian you are right, but must be time to do them all. :emoji_grin:
I am the same , my list of to do's just keeps getting bigger

David

Reactions: Brokenhandle
DRKsmoking Thanks for the like I appreciate it.

Grandmothers have some awesome recipes unfortunately mine took a lot of hers with her they were not written down anywhere.

Warren

Awesome, awesome looking pot of comfort DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ! And that’s some real dumplings, vs. the flat, doughy, chewy variety (j/k, y’all go ahead and enjoy those if you must...lol).

I like ‘em with the texture of a fine Southern biscuit. Your dough boys recipe closely resembles mine, only I use buttermilk to take it up another notch!

Rick

Dumpling_1.jpg
Dumpling_2.jpg

Awesome, awesome looking pot of comfort DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ! And that’s some real dumplings, vs. the flat, doughy, chewy variety (j/k, y’all go ahead and enjoy those if you must...lol).

I like ‘em with the texture of a fine Southern biscuit. Your dough boys recipe closely resembles mine, only I use buttermilk to take it up another notch!

Rick

Rick those are some good looking dough boys there . They look nice and fluffy

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky