1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoked Cheese time?

Discussion in 'Smoked Cheese' started by Smokin' Granny, Aug 1, 2018.

1. How long to smoke cheese in a Masterbuilt cold smoker. I am new to this smoker! I have 20 lbs in there now and have smoked for 50 minutes. I have put some ice blocks in the pan at the bottom of the smoker to keep the temp at 63 degrees. Everything looks fine but I am not accustomed to this type of smoking. In the past I used another type of smoker with a element in the bottom for the pellets and a big tray of ice on the first rack. The temp did get too high on occasion. (Melt down).
    My friends at the Farmers Market love my Smoked Cheese so I don't want to screw this up. Please advise

2. 73saint

73saint Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

That's going to be a personal preference thing. I would start out at 4 hours, but also pay attention to your color, and when it "looks" ready. Also remember it's critical to let that cheese rest for a while (I do at least 2 weeks but 30 days is better) in the fridge, for the smoke to mellow.

I have smoked my cheese up to 12 hours, and yet to open a pack that was too smokey (as long as it has mellowed out before tasting).

3. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Sorry I'm not all that familiar with your smoker. When I smoke cheese on my WSM using apple sawdust I'm finding that if I go two rounds at two hours apiece I can eat the cheese right out of the smoker. I would avoid using uncovered ice next time. You don't really want to add any extra moisture to the process. If you need to cool your chamber down freeze a large soda bottle or two full of water and put that on your rack.

Chris.

4. thanks for your advice. I smoked this batch for 2 hours and will store (two weeks)wrapped in the refrigerator before I try it out. I'll use a freezer block to keep the smoker cool on my next smoke. thanks again, Smokin' Granny, Pender Is., BC

5. PolarSuns

PolarSuns Newbie

I just did my first batch a few days ago in my Masterbuilt smoker with cold smoker unit, and I did a few pounds of cheddar for 2 1/2 hours with hickory. Most of it is resting but the piece I've been gnawing on is good, but needs a little more.

I'm currently in the middle of a batch right now and going to do this one for 4 hours. I didn't use ice the first time and everything came out fine, the outside temps were in the high 50's.