Smoked cheese round 1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Zen

Original poster
Mar 23, 2023
Central Arkansas
So, this was intended to be planned out and perfect. However, that was not the case yesterday. 😂 To be fair, nothing goes according to plan often around here, and I am ok with that.

I smoked the biggest block of Tillamook, Cabot sharp yellow, and then some Pepper Jack, Colby, Colby jack and regular sharp. I had them labeled, but kids threw out my paper that had my legend on it for what's what. Now it will just be a delish mystery and I'm ok with that.

I cut them up, no method to the madness, just tried all different sizes. I smoked them for about 4 hours with some apple pellets in a 12" pellet tube on the WSM. I also put ice in the drop pan.

It was not nearly as cool outside as anticipated. However, the WSM stayed around 70 ish for a bit. Then, towards the end it got too hot at 90+. So, I went ahead and pulled at 4 hours. I was wanting to try to do some a little longer, but the weather wasn't having it and I did not have the time to mess with it. It still got some good color and I'm excited to try it.

Then I vacuum sealed it with the Food Saver that I bought impulsively at WM. I had gone back and forth about wether I really needed one or not. Y'all!! I am sooo glad I did. That thing is awesome!

Now we wait. ✌️💚
IMG_20230402_210115164~3.jpg

My son and daughter would be all over that. They like a heavier smoke profile. Nicely done. A couple of tips.

1. If it's getting too hot in the smoker then you can always pull the cheese out. Let it rest on a warming rack, until the smokers temp cools down. Then put the cheese back in for a second round of smoke. You can resmoke the cheese the next day if need be.

2. After an hour or two pull one block of cheese off the grate. Cut a small piece off and give it a try(not an end piece). You'll get an idea of where you are in terms of smokey flavor. Doing this will also help eliminate the dreaded two week waiting period.

Point for sure
Chris

• Love
Reactions: SmokinEdge and Zen
My son and daughter would be all over that. They like a heavier smoke profile. Nicely done. A couple of tips.

1. If it's getting too hot in the smoker then you can always pull the cheese out. Let it rest on a warming rack, until the smokers temp cools down. Then put the cheese back in for a second round of smoke. You can resmoke the cheese the next day if need be.

2. After an hour or two pull one block of cheese off the grate. Cut a small piece off and give it a try(not an end piece). You'll get an idea of where you are in terms of smokey flavor. Doing this will also help eliminate the dreaded two week waiting period.

Point for sure
Chris
This is great! Did not even think to do any of that. Thanks so much!!! This just gave me the go ahead to do some swiss later on this evening. I'll use these tips.

Looks good! It's trial and error till you find what you like for smoke times and resting times. I try to keep enough smoked cheese so the resting time is a non issue. Found a chunk of 3 year old smoked pepper jack in back of fridge... now looking for a special occasion to cut it open!
Let us know how yours turns out!

Ryan

• Love
Reactions: Zen
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky