Smoked Cheese Puddles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
When you thought you were cold smoking...

IMG_20190607_141223.jpg

Reactions: Jonok
Preacher man FTW! Lol

Might be a little to warm to be smoking cheese this time of year. Hopefully you can salvage some of that maybe let it firm up in the fridge and mellow out for awhile then shred it.

Reactions: Preacher Man
Those still look pretty tasty. A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, a good baseball game, and a platter of those with a good pocketknife to dig out the tasty bits would do me right about now!
(Like!)

Reactions: Preacher Man
I am very curious what exactly happened..that has to be over 100f you hit?

Fondue or cheese sauce would be amazing with that stuff though..or as filling in some home made pretzels... Chill and shred for tacos?

Let us know how strong the smoke is!!

Yeah, get some melting salts and make some cheese sauce. Great on nachos or mac and cheese.

Yep, scrape it up and treat as normal, it'll be fine.
But man, that looks like a helluva'lot of smoke.

Now if that was fried/grilled cheese... OMG'osh!
That's be Mana from Heaven, sammies, crackers, toast, chips, fries or just plain.
I love the browned crispy parts of fried and/or grilled cheese.

Reactions: ksblazer
This happened to me. While it may not look the most appetizing. It still tasted good. Don't toss them. Give them a try.

It's a TON of smoke, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for me. We had a cold spell up here so I thought I'd be okay with my temps, but boy was I wrong.

We ate one bar of white cheddar, and everyone thought it was good. The others are muenster and 2 year aged cheddar. These I'll let chill in the fridge and then sealed them up tonight. I'll let em rest for a good month or so and then they'll be great grated up for enchiladas, nachos, breakfast burritos, etc.

Very interesting, learnt something new today.
Sodium citrate and sodium hexametaphosphate
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/cheddar-cheese-sauce

Yep. I use the formula from Chefsteps, but using Sous Vide is totally unnecessary. It's faster and easier to just use a heavy sauce pan over low heat. The melting salts make a extremely smooth sauce without the chance of breaking that you can store in the fridge, and you can make it with just about any combination of cheese that you want. Smoked cheeses work great. Some folks use only Sodium Citrate, but adding the hexametaphosphate allows you to use less of the citrate. Both readily available online. Either ways it works great and makes nachos cheese sauce that blows the doors off anything you can buy, and uses only a few ingredients without preservatives.

You can also use less milk and make your own american cheese type slices. I pour into a mold the size of a burger patty, then slice. It's melts as good as Velvetta, but of course tastes much better.

I wouldn't use 100% of the smoked cheese as it may be too strong, blend it with something else, like non smoked cheddar, swiss, any other cheese you like.

Last edited:
I just sent in my order for 100 gm of the stuff.
The b!@#tard Chuck Bieger (may he rest in peace) who lived across the street from me and was the chief engineer for the Velveeta line at Kraft never told me that there was anything other than cheddar trimmings and soybean oil involved... This explains a lot!!

I just sent in my order for 100 gm of the stuff.
The b!@#tard Chuck Bieger (may he rest in peace) who lived across the street from me and was the chief engineer for the Velveeta line at Kraft never told me that there was anything other than cheddar trimmings and soybean oil involved... This explains a lot!!

Wow, their recipe for "Melty Cheese Slices" sounds and looks pretty much like Velveeta cheese blocks. Cool....

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/melty-cheese-slices

Pouring it into a mold to set for slicing - looks just like melted velveeta to me (photo from the link above)

convert

If nobody beats me to it, I’ll report back ASAP...
The very possibility of using something other than Humko soybean oil to mix with the cheese (think ghee, peanut oil, fresh pressed sesame etc.)
in a smooth emulsion is going to keep me awake.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky