Smoked Cheese for the holidays

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sky monkey

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2015
Western Oregon
This is my 2nd run at cold smoking cheese. Figured I'd make some for Christmas presents and to eat at Thanksgiving. The last time I used pellets in the A-Maz-N 5x7 tray and some of you guys suggested switching to dust over the pellets. I'm here to tell you thanks! When I used pellets the initial taste was a little strong and you could see a lot of color on the cheese. With the dust this cheese tastes great right out of the smoker. Even better this morning after sitting in the fridge overnight.

5lbs of pepper jack and 3 lbs of manchego. I smoked for 3 hours 45 minutes with A-Maz-N Pitmaster's Choice dust (hickory, cherry, maple blend) in my MES 40. Ambient temp was about 41 degrees F I did not plug the probes in for the smoker temp but it was cool for sure (no more than 60F). Rested overnight uncovered in the fridge. I had started both ends of the tray but one side went out right away and I got it going again about an hour into the smoke after I noticed. I haven't done the mailbox mod yet but I put a couple trays in the path of the smoke so it wasn't flowing directly onto the cheese to reduce creosote deposits. YUM!

Cheese 1.jpg

Cheese 2.jpg

Cheese 3.jpg

Cheese 4.jpg

I use the sawdust tray too, and Holiday gifting of cheese is my norm. In fact I'm afraid what would happen if I stopped gifting it.....

I just did a batch of Gouda, cheddar, and cheddar jack over apple for three hours. So good!

This is my 2nd run at cold smoking cheese. Figured I'd make some for Christmas presents and to eat at Thanksgiving. The last time I used pellets in the A-Maz-N 5x7 tray and some of you guys suggested switching to dust over the pellets. I'm here to tell you thanks! When I used pellets the initial taste was a little strong and you could see a lot of color on the cheese. With the dust this cheese tastes great right out of the smoker. Even better this morning after sitting in the fridge overnight.

5lbs of pepper jack and 3 lbs of manchego. I smoked for 3 hours 45 minutes with A-Maz-N Pitmaster's Choice dust (hickory, cherry, maple blend) in my MES 40. Ambient temp was about 41 degrees F I did not plug the probes in for the smoker temp but it was cool for sure (no more than 60F). Rested overnight uncovered in the fridge. I had started both ends of the tray but one side went out right away and I got it going again about an hour into the smoke after I noticed. I haven't done the mailbox mod yet but I put a couple trays in the path of the smoke so it wasn't flowing directly onto the cheese to reduce creosote deposits. YUM!

View attachment 472546

View attachment 472547

View attachment 472548

View attachment 472549

Quite the spread! Looks great.

For holiday gifting, how long do you think it is best to let the smoked cheese age/rest before gifting?

How long do you let it rest before vac sealing?

For holiday gifting, how long do you think it is best to let the smoked cheese age/rest before gifting?
Since I switched to using the dust instead of pellets in my AMNPS the cheese is tasty right out of the smoker. I started gifting it 2 days later. As far as the rest before I vac sealed it, I let it sit on a baking sheet in the fridge overnight. About 9 hours in the fridge and then vac sealed it.

For holiday gifting, how long do you think it is best to let the smoked cheese age/rest before gifting? How long do you let it rest before vac sealing?

I age mine a year. Not that it needs it (I use dust) but it's so much better and complex. Manchego might not improve much but cheap store bought cheese sure does. It might sound hard to do, but do several batches over the winter and throw in the fridge. Eventually you'll have plenty.

Since I switched to using the dust instead of pellets in my AMNPS the cheese is tasty right out of the smoker. I started gifting it 2 days later. As far as the rest before I vac sealed it, I let it sit on a baking sheet in the fridge overnight. About 9 hours in the fridge and then vac sealed it.

what is this dust over the pellets part?

what is this dust over the pellets part?
A-Maze-N products sells sawdust to use in their smoke tubes and smoke maze, you can also use pellets. I switched over from using pellets in my maze to using sawdust. Someone on this page recommended it. It reduced the creosote build up on the cheese and the smoke taste is great straight out of the smoker. The pellets put a good smoke flavor on there but it was a little heavy and strong tasting before some mellow time.

A-Maze-N products sells sawdust to use in their smoke tubes and smoke maze, you can also use pellets. I switched over from using pellets in my maze to using sawdust. Someone on this page recommended it. It reduced the creosote build up on the cheese and the smoke taste is great straight out of the smoker. The pellets put a good smoke flavor on there but it was a little heavy and strong tasting before some mellow time.

thank you for that , yes i use either my Bradley , or my Trageri will have to go and try this ..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky