Smoked Cajun Sausage & A Basic Tutorial (Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
The past several days I've been helping my new friend David ( dwdunlap dwdunlap ) through the learning curve of making sausage. He made a batch of the Cajun sausage I sent him the spice mix for. At the end of the day, he apparently did OK but hit a couple of roadblocks. I got a PM from him asking a few questions. Instead if typing out the response, knowing I was going to be making a batch for myself, I just took pics of the process. The plan was to send them to him via PM but decided if I was going to post any sort of an informative tutorial, I may as well go ahead and post it here to possibly help others who may have questions and tag David on it so he can see it here.

David didn't seem to have any issues grinding the meat, so I did not take pics of that part. I'll just make some comments here for those who may not be in the know.

-No matter what type or flavor of sausage you're making, there are three components that are crucial to any sausage: lean meat, fat, and liquid. Some folks go with an approximate 85/15 ratio and some go as low as 70/30. My preference is 80/20 to 85/15.

-The sausage I made is what I'd consider a medium sized sausage so I used the medium grinding plate

-When cutting the meat before grinding, cut into cubes 3/4" to 1" in size. This will allow the meat to go down the throat of the grinder without binding up or clogging the auger

-After the meat is cut, put it on a sheet pan and place in the freezer. Let it sit for as long as it takes for the meat to start crusting up. It will grind much cleaner if it's that cold. This is when I typically mix up my spices

-Place the holding tray and grinder tube (with blade and grinding plate installed) into the fridge to get cold. DO NOT put in freezer!!

-Once the meat is starting to crust up, it's ready to grind. Drop the meat into the grinder a couple of cubes at a time. Don't try filling the entire throat or it's going to clog the auger and turn your meat into silly putty. You should be able to get by with just an occasional prod with the stick if a particular chunk of meat won't drop into the auger.

-I like to sprinkle my spices into the meat as it's grinding into the bowl a little at a time. Maybe 3 or 4 applications. This helps to incorporate the spices throughout the meat and will require less mixing thus minimizing the possibility of breaking the farce and it emulsifying.

-A general starting point for liquid is about 1/4 cup of water for 5# of meat. The water is best if it's put in a glass and into the fridge so it's cold. You'll soon note that "cold" is the word of the day when making sausage. Put about 1/8 cup of water in when you start mixing and add as necessary. The meat should be sticky but still have visible textures of meat and fat. When at the proper consistency, you should be able to take a small gob of meat, stick it to the palm of your hand, turn your hand upside down, and the meat will stay stuck to your hand.

At this point, I had the meat ground, the seasonings mixed, and about half of the meat into the hopper of the stuffer. Decided to go ahead and take a pic so you could see what the meat is supposed to look like after mixing
001.jpg

I love the pre-tubed casings from Syracuse Casing Company. They are so easy to use. Soak in warm water for 10 minutes, slide onto the stuffing horn, and you're ready to go. This is a partial casing left over from last time I made sausage
002.jpg

Gently crank the handle until the meat is almost coming out the end of the stuffing horn. This will purge the air and stop your casing from blowing up like a balloon
003.jpg

Pull off enough casing to tie a basic overhand knot (make a loop, pull the end through, and snug it up). Make sure to leave a 1 to 1 1/2 inch tail of casing. The pressure of the meat going in will make the knot slide and you don't want it sliding all the way off and meat going all over the counter. I built a stuffing table. It's made of Cedar, has a clear Plexiglas top, adjustable height feet, and a ruler glued on the underside so I can measure the links as they come off. Keep the bulk of your casing toward the dispensing end of the tube. It will minimize resistance as the casing is coming off the tube, thus minimizing the possibility of a blow-out
004.jpg

005.jpg

For my smoked sausage, I like making 12" links
006.jpg

When the link is at the desired length, pinch off the end, slide off the stuffing horn, and leave yourself 3" or so of casing to tie the same knot. Don't shortcut yourself enough casing to tie the knot or you'll be hating life!! Get the knot started and you can slide it right down to where the meat stops, then snug it up.
007.jpg

008.jpg

Continue until the plunger in the stuffer bottoms out. I took multiple pics to fully document the color. You'll see a big difference with the next pics.
009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Here they are the next day after hanging in the fridge overnight. They will be going on the Rec Tec in a few minutes. See the color difference?
012.jpg

013.jpg

Onto the smoker. If you have the availability of really regulating your smoker temp, you ideally want to start about 130* and slowly raise the temp over several hours to 160* or 170*. Do not let the smoker go above 180* for any length of time or you'll get whats called a "fat out". This is where the fat starts to melt and break down. It'll make the sausage really greasy and it'll start blowing up your casings.
014.jpg

About 2 hours in. These are looking beautiful!!
022.jpg

All done and in the house. From here they go into an ice bath for about 20 minutes to stop them from cooking any more from the residual heat.
45.jpg

46.jpg

Out of the ice bath, ends snipped, and string loops removed
47.jpg

Cut away view
48.jpg

49.jpg

I will say that this is about the most beautiful batch of sausage I've ever made. The coloring I got from the Rec Tec is just off the charts, and the sausage was absolutely amazing. It'd been a while since I made any of this and now remember why Steve ( Steve H Steve H ) was raving so much about it in his recent thread. Like him also, I proceeded to make some sausage and chicken Jambalaya for dinner last night. It was so good!!
001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

No doubt I've missed a few things but think I managed to hit on most of the high points. Please fire away if I missed anything and I'll get back as quickly as I can.

Hoping somebody can benefit from this,
Robert

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 15
Thank you for sharing Robert. That sausage looks great. I haven't gotten into sausage making yet as I don't really have the equipment to do so but I am seeing a stuffer in my near future. Do you use pork butt as the meat?

Yup, you nailed it!

Thank you Steve!! You were the inspiration....for both the sausage and the Jambalaya!! Seeing your post about the sausage prompted me to go look in the freezer, only to find out I didn't have any more. Time to get off my lazy a$$ and make a batch, so I did

It had been too long,
Robert

Thank you for sharing Robert. That sausage looks great. I haven't gotten into sausage making yet as I don't really have the equipment to do so but I am seeing a stuffer in my near future. Do you use pork butt as the meat?

More than welcome John!! Sausage making is actually very easy to do but to get it really dialed in and be efficient in the process, it can require considerable equipment. Certainly it can be done on a budget but it's just a lot more work. I'm a gadget kinda guy though and believe in the mantra "work smarter, not harder". It helps that Tracy likes the sausages also so she freed up the piurse strings a bit for me.

Yes, this particular sausage is all pork, ground from butt. I do have recipes I've put together for beef but this isn't one of them.

Butt grinding in Lago,
Robert

More than welcome John!! Sausage making is actually very easy to do but to get it really dialed in and be efficient in the process, it can require considerable equipment. Certainly it can be done on a budget but it's just a lot more work. I'm a gadget kinda guy though and believe in the mantra "work smarter, not harder". It helps that Tracy likes the sausages also so she freed up the piurse strings a bit for me.

Yes, this particular sausage is all pork, ground from butt. I do have recipes I've put together for beef but this isn't one of them.

Butt grinding in Lago,
Robert

I keep telling my wife she hoards too much stuff and needs to get rid of it then I keep bringing home more cooking/smoking equipment...sous vide, meat grinder, meat slicer, thermometers, vac sealer, etc...pretty sure I am going to have to stop bitching soon :emoji_laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: justoldbobo
Oh Boy Robert!! So helpful and generous. The illustrations sure answer a lot of questions. Ready to follow and make my own sausage. Going to start tomorrow with Keilbasa.

One question... What kind of sausage did you make for this tutorial?

Great write up! This will be very helpful and informative info for people starting out making sausage! Its hard for for newbie sausage maker to find good (and correct) information on the subject! Great job!

Awesome post, pix and DIY gear.

Do you have a link to the ingredients?
Since you're smoking them I assume you're using #1 cure, but I'd be interested in the other spices for the flavor profile.

I just started on the sausage carousel so I'm trying to amass some info.

A distinct goal this winter is to make smoked cajun sausage to scratch the jambalaya, gumbo and red beans & rice itch that seems to manifest itself when the weather gets chilly.

I'm now itching to get this one into the production queue.

Thanks!!

I keep telling my wife she hoards too much stuff and needs to get rid of it then I keep bringing home more cooking/smoking equipment...sous vide, meat grinder, meat slicer, thermometers, vac sealer, etc...pretty sure I am going to have to stop bitching soon

John, John. John, you gotta get off the bitching bandwagon. Never ever bitch at somebody who can pull the plug on your hobbies at any given time, especially if it happens to be the same person you sleep with at night :emoji_wink: Easy solution. You both endure the other's propensity for acquiring stuff (and keeping it apparently) and when space runs out, just buy or build a bigger house. I took this into account when I designed our house. There are only 2 of us here...and the Beagle, but we have 10 closets in the house, 8 of which are large walk-in closets. Out of all those, I get the smallest of the walk-ins. I don't care though. As long as Tracy is happy, she has the space to hoard as much crap as she wants.

Got this game figured out,
Robert

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Oh Boy Robert!! So helpful and generous. The illustrations sure answer a lot of questions. Ready to follow and make my own sausage. Going to start tomorrow with Keilbasa.

Thank you David. Hopefully I answered your questions...or at least most of them. You know how to get in touch if there is anything else I can fill in the blanks on. If I may suggest though, please hold on making the Kielbasa. Let me get a package sent to you with the seasonings. I ran the gamut with Kielbasa and finally found an fantastic spice mix for it. I just don't want to see you go through the trial and error process I went through.

One question... What kind of sausage did you make for this tutorial?

Uhhhh...as stated in the title of the thread, and mentioned in the body of the thread, it is the exact same Cajun sausage I sent you the spice mix for :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Great write up! This will be very helpful and informative info for people starting out making sausage! Its hard for for newbie sausage maker to find good (and correct) information on the subject! Great job!

Thank you. It took me a while to write this up but I figured if I was going to do it, I may as well make it as thorough as I could. If not, it's kinda pointless.

Can't say as the info I provided is good or correct, but it's how
I do it and it seems to work for me :emoji_anguished:

Thank you again,
Robert

Reactions: Sowsage
Awesome post, pix and DIY gear.

Very much appreciate the positive feedback. It was a bit of a painstaking thread, but hopefully it'll help somebody.

Do you have a link to the ingredients?

Well not I don't and sadly I cannot share the spice mix recipe. I did a favor for another forum member a couple years ago who needed a piece of equipment that I had and no longer needed due to having just upgraded. I sent him what he needed with no expectation of anything in return but he shared the recipe. It is a 120 year old recipe from a guy that is a certified Coonass (born, raised, and still lives in Southern Louisiana)and has been in his family for 5 generations. He asked that I keep the recipe close to my chest but I am more than willing to share the spice mix itself. If you send me a PM with your full name, mailing address, and how large a batch of sausage you'll be making, I'll happily send you that much spice mix. I'm going to be making a trip to the post office in the next day or two to send more stuff to David and can easily drop one more package off.

Since you're smoking them I assume you're using #1 cure

That is a correct assessment

A distinct goal this winter is to make smoked cajun sausage to scratch the jambalaya, gumbo and red beans & rice itch that seems to manifest itself when the weather gets chilly.

This will certainly scratch that itch!! It's an outstanding sausage.

Post office logged into auto-pilot,
Robert

• Wow
Reactions: justoldbobo
Looks Great Robert !!
And Real Nice Step by Step!!
Pretty Pics Too!
Nice Job!!
Like.

Thank you Bear!! It doesn't come close to what you have shared with the good folks here but if I have to be in somebody's shadow, I can't think of a person who's shadow I'd rather be in than yours :emoji_wink:

Robert

Nice job on the tutorial!
Very well written!
And the sausage looks fantastic!

Very much appreciate it Al. I just got to thinking that it only made sense to post it here versus just sending it to David. There may be some folks that can pick up a few things, or even decide to pull the trigger and get started making sausage.....like jcam222 above :emoji_anguished:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky