Smoked Butt Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chek

Original poster
Sep 20, 2020
Had a long post, site had an issue so doing a short version
Read a few ideas on how to smoke a Boston Butt Roast, now here is my experience.
Planned for 16hrs. (Had 8.9 lb roast at 2hrs per lb per suggested read)
Prep: fresh roast, not frozen, rubbed with season salt, garlic powder, Montreal Steak Seasoning, a garlic/Parmesan blend seasoning and brown sugar bourbon mix (let set overnight)
Placed roast fat side up in baking pan (capture the juices) on second lowest rack
Set electric smoker to temp of 240 and internal temp of 140
Dropped apple/peach blend wood chips and refreshed every 3 hours
Around 6-7 hour mark took roast out, flipped over and wrapped in foil
Pulled out at 13hr mark with max internal temp hitting 160 ish after backing smoker temp down to 230 for the home stretch last 4 hours of smoke.
Let set for 1/2 hour to absorb juices and everything others posting talk about..lol
Side note, threw in 2 baking sheets of chicken thighs and drumsticks seasoned same with the exception of replacing the Montreal Steak Seasoning for chicken seasoning for 3 hrs
RESULTS: outer layer of roast was a crispy yet moist dark brown. Cutting slices revealed moist meat with hints of pink. Fed 9 adults and a nice shoulder bone for the pup. Tons of compliments for an easy smoke.
My critique: to get the medium rare I was shooting for I think next time I back off cook time to about 11hrs. Chicken....was pure perfection
Photo at about 5-6 hours

Attachments

• 34109B3F-CF16-4048-AE10-CA8FF860803A.jpeg
    34109B3F-CF16-4048-AE10-CA8FF860803A.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 980A704E-04C9-4696-A533-E24343A62C7A.jpeg
    980A704E-04C9-4696-A533-E24343A62C7A.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hmmm---Interesting!!
I wish there were more pics, later in the smoke.
I don't think I ever saw a Butt Smoked to 160° IT.
Tender??

Bear

Hmmm---Interesting!!
I wish there were more pics, later in the smoke.
I don't think I ever saw a Butt Smoked to 160° IT.
Tender??

Bear
Thanks Bear, and thank you for Service!
The meat came out very tender and I am kicking myself in the rear for not having more photos. I make sure going forward I have ample amounts of pics.
I’m always eager for ideas and other tips, that’s what led me here.
It was my first go with something other than racks of ribs, chicken and smoked cheese burgers
and my Battle that trades smokin tips every morning before the duty day starts was great at talking me through how to keep the roast juicy and of course tender.
I did have to make some on the fly adjustments when IT climbed above my desired setting but I couldn’t be happier with my first go

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky